2009 Prius Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 08:06 AM
Idealist
Default 2009 Prius Thread

Y'all may have seen this already, but if not here you go. The good folks at http://www.greencarcongress.com/ filed this report yesterday:

During the third annual SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) Hybrid Symposium which wrapped up Thursday in San Diego, Toyota’s Dave Hermance briefed engineers on the upcoming 2007 Camry Hybrid. Asked by Green Car Congress if the hybrid Camry’s introduction now paves the way for a redesign of the Prius with even more radical technologies, Hermance replied, “Absolutely.”

The Prius is scheduled for replacement in 2008, with the next generation to be sold as a 2009 model-year vehicle.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Prius re-design on the way?

Along with "radiacal technologies" I hope they keep it as a unique design, we might end up buying one in a few years to replace the Grand Caravan.
2009 is about right for us.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Toyota typically runs a body design for 5 years, with minor trim and non-sheet metal changes in years inbetween distinct changes. Their cost structure must be highly controlled to keep their model change to that precicse a schedule.

Old 02-07-2006, 01:48 AM
04 prius 350,000km

i wonder what are the goals for the next prius. Sportier handling?

Old 02-07-2006, 03:13 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Prius re-design on the way?

Here is my top ten list:

1) PDS 'lock-up' - to eliminate the MG1 energy tax at cruise speeds above 50 mph.

2) ICE 'lock-up' - to allow MG1 and MG2 to operate together in all electric mode with an optional, removable, extended battery pack for the trunk.

3) Improved thermal management - to keep the engine, transaxle and battery at optimum operating temperatures in cold and hot weather. A type of 'active' park, the car would maintain a quick warm-up or run temperature levels to minimize the amount of gas needed to warm up the systems the next day.

4) Whole house UPS - let the full power of MG1 be modulated by the MG2 inverter output to provide +15 KW of 220/110 VAC, 60 Hz (or local to country) power.

5) Rear view cameras - eliminate the side mirrors and provide a better view to the sides and rear.

6) Integrated glass defrosting and antenna - use the defrost traces for the antennas. Cover everything from AM through GPS/satellite radio.

7) An accurate fuel gage and tank with a consistent fill-up.

8) Exhaust gas heat recovery - for both vehicle heating and ammonium absorbtion cooling.

9) Fully articulating electric driver and passenger seats.

10) Selectable horn MPEG - "GETTING 110 MPG GASHOG", "MPG IS YOUR IQ", "GASHOLE", "NAAA NA NAAA NAAAA NAAAA" . . . When the gas cap is taken off, it starts giggiling and laughing.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 02-07-2006 at 03:17 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Here's my top ten list:

1) Improved steering and directional stability at speed.

2) Better seats with optional heating and adjustable lumbar support.

3) Oil change interval monitoring by computer - by todays standards having fixed 5k mi intervals is archaic, and wastes oil - very un-green. Have computer monitoring of intervals combined with synthetic oil, and changes can easily be stretched to 10 - 15k miles.

4) A real premium stereo that deserves the name - dump JBL! Get Bose or Harman Kardon.

5) ABS needs better tuning: if you run over a bump while braking, braking essentially stops for 1-2 full seconds, way longer than necessary and quite dangerous.

6) I like Bob's idea of removable extra battery pack, as a plug-in.

7) Another of Bob's ideas: exhaust heat recovery, not just for heating, but maybe also via peltier elements or a more efficient system, to help charge battery.

8) Photovoltaic windows, maybe paint, or roof panel for slow charging while parked in sun.

9) Bob's again: no side mirrors, instead cameras on sides and in back, that provide one single wide angle view, either via internal rear view mirror, or via center dash display.

10) Any trick to improve highway cruising fuel economy: PSD lockup, maybe also lowering of car by 1-2 inches at speeds above 55-60 mph, underbody streamlining, maybe integrate radio antenna into rear window, and maybe also have a receding rear window wiper that disappears into the rear spoiler when not used.

Old 02-07-2006, 07:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Be real nice to have those doors that go up rather than outward. I've had a few cars parked so close to mine that I had a lot of difficulty getting in.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:00 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Prius re-design on the way?

Originally Posted by infael
Be real nice to have those doors that go up rather than outward. I've had a few cars parked so close to mine that I had a lot of difficulty getting in.
Or maybe like sliding van doors. They would pop out far enough to make clearance and then the front doors would slide forward and the rear doors slide back.

Bob Wilson

Old 02-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner

I'd go with:

(1) the fully adjustable, power front seats, with lumbar support; heat could be an option

(2) better stereo system

(3) better rear-view camera system, I hate the "fish eye", I can't tell when I'm about to hit something - perhaps have it switchable from "fish eye" to normal view, so you could use whichever is needed

(4) All-wheel drive as an available option

(5) different controls on the steering wheel - I'd prefer having stereo power, and a "mute" button, and climate fan up/down, and losing stereo "mode" and temp up/down (or button could do temp if in "auto" mode and fan if not)

(6) sun or moon roof option

(7) "electric only" mode, with a bigger battery pack

(8) I like the roof solar panel option (but it would have to have a built-in defroster to melt away the snow and ice!).
It is trivial, I admit, but it would also be nice to have a switch to tell the car "there is no passenger", so the seat-belt beep/flash will be disabled when I pile my junk (i.e., 30 lb. briefcase) on the seat!

Old 02-10-2006, 08:24 PM
Enthusiast

I would go for Sweetbeet's mods with the following changes:

- Better ergonomics - Get the climate controls out of the MFD, move below like the Camry Hybrid.
- Change the hatchback to a short wagon and get rid of the rear blind spots.
- plugin HEV with extended range LIon battery pack
- full electric cruising range of 50 miles as long as you stay below 50 mph.

Attached an image of the future hope...

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
prius_sw.pdf (394.3 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by BeGreen; 02-15-2006 at 08:40 PM. Reason: added image

Quick Reply: 2009 Prius Thread

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands