Update on 08 deliveries

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Enthusiast
Default Update on 08 deliveries

According to my dealer in Houston, the 2008 HH's are now delayed till late October and probably into November. The un-official comment is "think thanksgiving". There was no set reason why they are delayed and they could not even order one for me until mid-October.

I have to admit I gave up. I know it is heresy, but I will pick up an 08 gas highlander sport 4x4 on Monday. I just could not nurse my chevy any further and gave up. I figure I will run the 08 gas for a few years and then trade it on maybe an 09 or 10 highlander hybrid once they work out the issues that are delaying it.

I will say having driven our 07 HH up to the dealer, taking the 08 gas out for a test drive was weird. It shifts, it lags on acceleration, it has the power but is quite noisy. At stop signs the gas engine does not shut off. ICKY! (to paraphrase my kid).

I will say the 08's are nice and have a good ride. Lots of room, good sound, and I sprung for a moon-roof that I have never had before. By the way they are rated and come equipped for 5000 lbs of towing with a 270 hp motor. I already ordered my hitch and brake controller.

I guess I am a one hybrid family for a few years. Sigh......

Old 09-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Enthusiast
Default I might also have to give up

Having recently purchased a Honda Accord Hybrid, I took my wife to the Toyota dealer yesterday to look at the Highlander (she wants a third row seat in a non-minivan; most options get in 15 MPG range). The salesman (worst I've met in a long time) had no idea that they were even mentioned on the website. I had to show him. He then took us for a test drive in a barebones Highlander that had been sitting in the sun all day. Turned my wife off in a big way.

Her lease expires in the beginning of November. I was hoping that the mid-October date might still work out for us. It's not looking good.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Update on 08 deliveries

Your probably not going to make it. I asked the manager (you meet everyone when you buy a vehicle at this dealer) on the hybrid and he was mildly evasive on the timing. Something is up because I read you can buy them in Canada but not here in the states so it could be a capacity issue.

I have now only driven my gas 08 about 20 miles, but it is very nice. Not like a hybrid nice but a lot better then the old blazer.

One thing I have noticed is with 3 rows of seats you cannot cram any stuff back by the tire like I did in my 07 hybrid. I will have to get a tool box for all of the safety gear etc. that is in the back of the truck right now.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FP45
According to my dealer in Houston, the 2008 HH's are now delayed till late October and probably into November. The un-official comment is "think thanksgiving". There was no set reason why they are delayed and they could not even order one for me until mid-October.

I have to admit I gave up. I know it is heresy, but I will pick up an 08 gas highlander sport 4x4 on Monday. I just could not nurse my chevy any further and gave up. I figure I will run the 08 gas for a few years and then trade it on maybe an 09 or 10 highlander hybrid once they work out the issues that are delaying it.

I will say having driven our 07 HH up to the dealer, taking the 08 gas out for a test drive was weird. It shifts, it lags on acceleration, it has the power but is quite noisy. At stop signs the gas engine does not shut off. ICKY! (to paraphrase my kid).

I will say the 08's are nice and have a good ride. Lots of room, good sound, and I sprung for a moon-roof that I have never had before. By the way they are rated and come equipped for 5000 lbs of towing with a 270 hp motor. I already ordered my hitch and brake controller.

I guess I am a one hybrid family for a few years. Sigh......
Don't give in!! You can make it! Even if you have to rent a car for two months. Or even shop for a used 06/07HH.

How about a used 400h?

Old 09-19-2007, 05:38 AM
Enthusiast

Sorry, I could not wait. My wife is pretty attached to the 07 HHY so it was not going to be shared much. Besides the 08's are much nicer!

I figured I would run this one a couple years and then trade it in on say an 2010 hhy after they get a few years to work out any kinks in the production.

I was in the dealer yesterday haveing the hitch put on and the brake controller attached.

There is NOT a trailer plug in the 08's so the brake controller must be spliced in. My dealer had to call Toyota for a wiring diagram to the 08's.

The hitch setup is very nicely done. Much more stout then the 07's and it looks like a custom fit! My dealer commented that I am probably the first person in the country to throw a hitch and a brake controller on an 08 Highlander.

By the way, still another month for the hybrids.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:29 AM

Well at least you'll be getting better mileage than 90% of the SUVs on the road -- I read one review that avg'd 20mpg in a non-Hybrid Highlander.

Congrats!

Old 09-19-2007, 02:06 PM
Enthusiast

My first tank averaged 19.8. I am on my second tank and so far it is 23.2. I think the engine is breaking in and I have learned a few tricks from the 07 HHY!

I really want the 08 HHY though. It will be really nice!

Old 09-19-2007, 02:11 PM

That's great!

I read an Edmunds Altima review today that noted it's 19mpg avg.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:32 PM
Enthusiast

Too bad it is not an 08 hybrid since I have a very easy hybrid commute. If I stay off the interstate on the frontage road, and drive the speed limit, then I have a 5 mile 30 mph drive to the office and then 5 mile 30 mph drive back. With Houston's weather of 70's and 90's during the summer, the 07 HHy only runs the engine to warm up and then at each stop light when I pulse it. I can usually glide to the next light if the AC is off in the morning and sometimes I shut off the AC when I am not gliding in the afternoon also to keep the engine from kicking on prior to the next light. With my wife's 07 HHy, I have done 32 MPG routinely on this commute.

My bet is my 08 gas will flatten out around 25 to 26 mpg for my commute to work and around town once it is broken in and if I had an 08 HHy it would have been 30 to 35 mpg.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

The inventory seems to be slowly improving. Today I traded my '07 TCH bought Nov. 24. '07 for an '08 HiHy. Nice upgrade.

IMG_0025.jpg

hihy-1.jpg

hihy-3.jpg