Standard Hybrid Tires are Dangerous!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Standard Hybrid Tires are Dangerous!!!!!

The other day it was raining I was in my Highlander Hybrid and car ran the light and I was going 40 MPH and I slammed on the brakes and the tires kept locking up and barely felt like it was stopping so I swerved hard and it almost spun around, if not for the VSC system it would have. But I know if it had all weather tires it would have done much better probaly, am I correct? I know my 04" Tahoe with ABS would have done better. These standard tires from Toyota slip to much, I am going to have to put All weather tires on.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Standard Hybrid Tires are Dangerous!!!!!

No way to tell without simulating the exact same conditions in your '04 Tahoe with ABS, which I don't think would be wise.

Best not to swerve or lock one's brakes in wet weather, in any vehicle... including a bicycle, for that matter!

You'll give up some MPGs switching to non-Low Rolling Resistance ("hybrid tires"), but if it makes you feel safer that's certainly an option. No issues in my FEH after over a year, but I've never had to lock/slam my brakes.

Last edited by GeekGal; 06-13-2007 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

I didn't know special low resistant tires were an available option on the HH. My HH came with regular old Goodyear all weather minivan tires. The other option was regular Michelins.
While not the best, these tires are adequate.
Could it be that your tires are worn? Or possibly are they over-inflated past 32psi ?

Old 06-13-2007, 07:25 AM
Enthusiast

Just to sneak in here...my HH has about 34K miles and the service folks said recently that I should start thinking about at least two new tires. Is that unusual to need new tires at 35K miles?

Any recommendation for tires--I think it makes sense to replace all 4 at the same time. Also, I bought the extended warranty. I imagine that does not cover wear items like tires, right?

Last edited by sneagle; 06-13-2007 at 07:29 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 06-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by highlanderhybrid
The other day it was raining I was in my Highlander Hybrid and car ran the light and I was going 40 MPH and I slammed on the brakes and the tires kept locking up and barely felt like it was stopping so I swerved hard and it almost spun around, if not for the VSC system it would have. But I know if it had all weather tires it would have done much better probaly, am I correct? I know my 04" Tahoe with ABS would have done better. These standard tires from Toyota slip to much, I am going to have to put All weather tires on.
Don't they already come with all weather tires standard?

Old 06-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sneagle
Just to sneak in here...my HH has about 34K miles and the service folks said recently that I should start thinking about at least two new tires. Is that unusual to need new tires at 35K miles?

Any recommendation for tires--I think it makes sense to replace all 4 at the same time. Also, I bought the extended warranty. I imagine that does not cover wear items like tires, right?

35K is early but not unusual for stock tires. I've always needed replacements (4 tires) between 30k-50k. As a rule, I don't mix tires. Best way to keep the car balanced is to have all 4 tires the same (Make, model, treadwear, age etc.) BTW, it sounds like you may not have rotated your tires on schedule (Fronts wearing before the rear?). That's another important thing to do. I do it every 5k with the oil.
My suggestion is to look for reviews of tires, say on tirerack.com or the like. See what people like and then find a dealer in your locale that gives free tire rotations with a purchase of 4 new tires. I recommend switching to an SUV tire (thicker sidewalls) rather than the minivan tires that come standard with the HH, get something such as the Goodyear Fortera TripleTred.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nomorebenz
I didn't know special low resistant tires were an available option on the HH. My HH came with regular old Goodyear all weather minivan tires. The other option was regular Michelins.
While not the best, these tires are adequate.
Could it be that your tires are worn? Or possibly are they over-inflated past 32psi ?
The HiHy comes with either Goodyear Integrity of Michelin Energy LX4. These two tires were selected by Toyota as they are both very-low-rolling-resistance-rated tires. Most replacements available have higher rolling resistance which will reduce mileage by up to a few miles per gallon depending on the particular tire. Note that the 225/65-17 size is not popular and your replacement selection options are rather limited.

The Michelin are rated better for handling characteristics than the Goodyear and they are considerably more expensive: $142 each for the Michelin compared to $84 for the Goodyear. Both are all-season tires.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:37 AM
Enthusiast

I got rid of the original equipment Goodyear Integrity tires after 6K miles, as we were heading to Lake Tahoe in December 2005 and I did not have confidence that those tires would do well in the snow. At that point the tread had worn about 40%.

I bought Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza (special ordered from Costco & the tires were inflated with nitrogen, Costco's normal practice). Those tires are great and I now have 21K miles on them. Extrapolating the tread wear, it looks like they will last about 50K miles.