KW meter

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 07:57 AM
Enthusiast
Default KW meter

New to the hybrid arena so I am looking for general info as well as experiences. On my 06 hihy the left most guage/meter says "KW". It ranges from 0 to 200. I realize this is to show electric battery power usage. My question / concern is that on my car this rarely moves much above 0. When I am using only the electric motor, even at say 35 mph, the guage is at, maybe, 10. I have NEVER seen that guage go up to even the 30 range.

Where do you all see your guage hitting? Is it supposed to go up to the 100 or more levels at times?

Thanks!!

Old 02-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: KW meter

Actually, the KW meter indicates total power output from both the ICE (V6 engine) and the electric motors. The max is 200 KW = 268 HP (208 from the ICE and 60 from the electrics). That's with pedal to the metal, so to speak - and the degree of acceleration is startling if you haven't experienced it. With full power, it's only 11-12 seconds to 80 MPH and the State Police. You won't get much above 10KW on electric alone, because you would deplete the battery quickly.

You should actually try out brief full throttle acceleration in a safe space so you won't be alarmed when you need it for passing (or maybe dragging the BMW X5 next to you at the stoplight). It makes a unique, almost unearthly growling/whining/rapping sound at 200 KW.

Pete

Old 02-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Pete - I will check it out!

Kathleen

Old 02-23-2009, 05:17 AM
Automania Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PineywoodsPete
..............................so you won't be alarmed when you need it for passing (or maybe dragging the BMW X5 next to you at the stoplight). Pete

Or making a Dodge Hemi PU owner wonder what the heck just made a fool of him and his Hemi stickers and loud exhaust at that stop light he tried to cut in front of everybody at

Old 02-23-2009, 06:58 AM
Enthusiast

I punched it yesterday and today and yes - I did see the KW meter go up to 100. I don't usually punch it so I hadn't noticed. It does have nice acceleration but I drive mostly city so not much need other than from a stop. I have been extra cautious about punching it from a stop as it seems to be delayed before it starts, which could get me hit in the city

While I have you two answereing me, and speaking of a delay....my brakes seem to 'give' or 'slip' on a regular basis. This also makes me leary and gives me another reason to slow down early but I am afraid they will 'give' in an emergency and I will rearend somene.

Do you all notice a give in your braking sometimes? It's like I am breaking, then not for about a second, then the brakes are back where I just had them. That second is scary to me!

Thanks!
Kathleen

Old 02-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Automania Enthusiast

It's usually when you hit a bump and the Regen stops or is bypassed to the regular brake system. At times when it first happens yes, it is a llittle unnerving. More pedal pressure is requierd when that happens as you switch from the Regen system to the hydralic system. To be honest it happens so infrequent now I never notice, unless of course you comig down an off ramp