2008 HiHy Bluetooth Install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 07:03 PM
Enthusiast
Angry 2008 HiHy Bluetooth Install?

I was wondering if anyone with a 2008 Highlander Hybrid base model has had an aftermarket Bluetooth handsfree installed.

I had my local Toyota dealership install the Motorola T605, but they utterly botched it:

1) They only installed an external speaker - did not wire into car stereo
2) They put the head unit in the center console compartment where you store the extra bench seat / cup holders and now the door won't close

I'm primarily interested in #1 -- has anyone successfully gotten a Motorola Bluetooth adapter installed with a wiring harness to hook directly into the car's stereo?

I'm 99.9% sure such wiring harnesses exist and am hoping to hear from someone who's done it before I get some song and dance from these jokers about why you can't do that...

Thanks
Dan

Old 01-14-2008, 04:25 AM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: 2008 HiHy Bluetooth Install?

Hey!

I just installed the T605 in the Ford Escape Hybrid. Here's some information that may help you out:

1. I heard that the directions are wrong: the yellow and orange wires are backward. Try reversing them. That may be why your installers put in the external speaker, cause they couldn't get the T605 to work per the instructions. It worked for me!

2. I can't get my T605 to play MP3s on my Escape's Radio (a Visteon custom model that has GPS build in). Motorola says it's because the radio has no AUX button to switch inputs. I figure if the unit can interrupt FM music to put a phonecall over the car's speakers, it can do the same for my MP3 music, but I guess there is some technical reason why my logic doesn't work.

3. I used some wire taps I got from Radio Shack to tap into the wires in the radio harness I needed. These taps go over an existing wire and have a sleeve that you can attach another wire. You close the tap and it "crimps" them together so you don't have to cut and splice the wires together. Harnesses? I don't need to stinkin harnesses!

4. Search the internet for a harness diagram for your radio to figure out which wires to tap into. You need a 12volt constant, a 12 volt switched, a "phone" mute lead, a "phone" in positive and a "phone" in negative and a ground. Once you can identify these wires in your wiring harness, the rest is a snap!

5. One of the hardest parts of my install was figuring out how to get the radio out. Turns out my radio had little square holes in the front on both sides. I had to go to PEP BOYS and buy keys ($6.00) to stick in the holes and pull the radio out. This could all be done from the front which made the install easier once I figured it out. I just Googled your radio and I don't see the key holes but it looks like the radio pops right out once you figure out how.

Hope this info helps!