"06 used Highland Hybrid-67,000 miles-wise buy??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 12:41 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation "06 used Highland Hybrid-67,000 miles-wise buy??

We have been looking for a Highlander Hybrid for a couple weeks now. We are not in a big hurry-but soon would be nice. We have finally narrowed down exactly what we want. We found a couple in the last couple of weeks but I ran across an add for an '06 Highland Hybrid Limited as follows:
Dark Blue/Grey. Limited edition. 67,000 miles. This gas saving SUV comes with a 100,000 mile transferable extended warrenty that covers almost everything. GPS navigation system. Roof mounted DVD player. Factory 6 CD changer. Leather seats. Tow package. Runs beautifully. All scheduled maintenance, Highway miles, No accidents, Non-smoker, One owner. Kelly Blue Book value $22,780.

Yes, I know, the miles! But he wants $19,500 for it, and if it needed a little maintenence we could definatly afford to do it at that price. Plus, we live in CA so the battery is covered to 150,000. What are some of the questions I should ask this guy or is this just a bad purchase? We were seriously considering tonight just breaking down and buying the 2008 for $46,000. So whats everyone's thoughts?

Old 10-30-2008, 04:51 AM
Automania Enthusiast
Default Re: "06 used Highland Hybrid-67,000 miles-wise buy??

Originally Posted by ctfarah
We have been looking for a Highlander Hybrid for a couple weeks now. We are not in a big hurry-but soon would be nice. We have finally narrowed down exactly what we want. We found a couple in the last couple of weeks but I ran across an add for an '06 Highland Hybrid Limited as follows:
Dark Blue/Grey. Limited edition. 67,000 miles. This gas saving SUV comes with a 100,000 mile transferable extended warrenty that covers almost everything. GPS navigation system. Roof mounted DVD player. Factory 6 CD changer. Leather seats. Tow package. Runs beautifully. All scheduled maintenance, Highway miles, No accidents, Non-smoker, One owner. Kelly Blue Book value $22,780.

Yes, I know, the miles! But he wants $19,500 for it, and if it needed a little maintenence we could definatly afford to do it at that price. Plus, we live in CA so the battery is covered to 150,000. What are some of the questions I should ask this guy or is this just a bad purchase? We were seriously considering tonight just breaking down and buying the 2008 for $46,000. So whats everyone's thoughts?
I have an 06 with no problems other then having to have the brakes replaced at 34K, but we live in the Northeast so the snow and salt take a toll on the caliper pins.

The 08's have a lot more room and my friend loves his 08 Limited, but it depends on your use and how much you care to finance. Either way you'd be happy and I don't think the miles are that big a factor with the extended warranty and the reliability factor of the Toyota Hybrids.

For me I sure do love the smell of new

Last edited by Bob259; 10-30-2008 at 04:53 AM.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

A hybrid is only a good investment if the majority of the driving is slow moving stop-and-go, city core driving.

If more than 1/3 of your "windshield" time is highway/freeway driving then you could get bettter FE overall with a non-hybrid, dramatically so with the new I4 Highlander.

That's also assuming you're not of the "boy-racer" crowd, impressed by 0-60 times.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwest
A hybrid is only a good investment if the majority of the driving is slow moving stop-and-go, city core driving.

If more than 1/3 of your "windshield" time is highway/freeway driving then you could get bettter FE overall with a non-hybrid, dramatically so with the new I4 Highlander.

That's also assuming you're not of the "boy-racer" crowd, impressed by 0-60 times.

Now Willard, you can't be serious! You're saying that a Corolla, at 350 # less than a Prius, gets better milage on the hwy? No way - it gets high 30's, your Prius high 40's unless you drive it like some of the maniacs I see driving them like they have something to prove.

Comparing apples to apples highway milage, the '06 HiHy gets 3 mpg more than the standard V6 and is several hundred #'s heavier. The 2.4L TCH, 5 mpg more than the 2.4L I-4 standard; the HCH w/ CVT 7 mpg more than the standard w/ manual tranny. So where in the world did your conclusions come from, particularly your data on the I-4 HiHy (the link is to a Dodge van!)?

I get an honest, calculated 27 mpg hwy in my '06 HiHy w/ 4WD - still 2-3 MPG better than my '01 Volvo wagon which weighs 800# less, has much less frontal area, and FWD only. Figure that.... On a recent trip to Yosemite and Tioga Pass from Monterey and back, pump to pump 28.5 mpg in the HiHy.

Do you have an ax to grind regarding the HiHy and its remarkable reserve power? I really got it to blow off X-5's and Cayennes rather than to pull my boat, haul a bunch of grandkids around, or explore the Colorado mountains, if the truth be known!

I seriously doubt the I-4 will improve significantly on FE - the frontal area stays the same and the mass not significantly less - but it sure will limit it's capabilities as an SUV.

Pete

Old 11-06-2008, 05:02 PM
04 prius 350,000km

prius and corolla are different beasts.... true one is more aerodynamically sound than the other and one has an engine that's tuned for efficiency but in physics theory the corolla should outdo the prius in a highway battle (I know I wouldn't let the Prius beat me that's for sure!).

the highlander I4 mpg has been released (20 city 27 highway i believe) so it beats the hybrid highlander by 2 mpg in the highway by in the city is still an underachiever when it comes to pure city driving, however, not many will justify the cost of I4 highlander vs v6 hybrid for an 5 mpg city gain.

i wouldn't be surprised since the hybrid is a overloaded with options it will be at least 300-400 lbs heavier than the I4 highlander.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

No car is a good investment.

Quit trolling on the HyHiers. They like SUVs. They want to make better choices. We should applaud them for it.

Chill.

ctfarah, seems like a good buy to me. Try to talk him down a bit. Good luck.

nf

Old 11-16-2008, 05:42 AM
Enthusiast

ctfarah,
For what it's worth,
we have an '06 Highlander Hybrid Base 4WDi which we bought new in August of 2005. It has been a great vehicle! I like Toyota's hybrid technology and if economy was the main issue, we would have purchased a Prius. We have a 17' travel trailer so we went with the HiHy. A few years ago, a lot of my friends thought I was crazy but after this summer (the high fuel prices), I was still wearing a smile.

It is a very comfortable ride for four adults. Where it's just my wife and I and a small dog, the '06 HiHy is perfect. Our vehicle (with a full tank of gas) weighs in a 4460 pounds and the trailer averages around 3000 pounds when ready for a trip.

Like any vehicle, your MPG will vary depending on how you drive. I have always been able to beat the "sticker" MPG estimates on everything I have driven.

If you can, check out the vehicle you found. Take it out for a little drive and if possible, have your favorite mechanic take a quick look. Sounds like it has been well taken care of. The only things we have had done on our HiHy is regular oil changes and tire rotations. No major problems - even after I installed the electric trailer brake controller and all of my ham radio stuff.

Good luck.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

This is a fairly "in-accurate" statement. I have an '06 Hybrid. A friend of mine has the non-Hybrid version. He AVERAGES 19MPG. I AVERAGE 25MPG. That's 6MPG difference. When gas was $4/gallon this was a bigger difference but at the "super-low" price for that high-milage one with all those features, it's a pretty decent deal (i.e. around the same price as a non-Hybrid verison with only a fewer miles). So, the question is really "how many miles per gallon is equivilant to the fewer miles of the non-hybrid version?"

Old 07-13-2010, 05:55 AM
Enthusiast

I've have found the VIN break for the change from the defective inverter to the new part. Before the break you may experience total power failure, engine, steering and brakes. After the break the new part does not have any failures I can find.
Toyota 06 Highlander Hybrid 2wd - Ending in 60009725
Toyota 06 Highlander Hybrid 4wd - Ending in 60019910
Lexus 06 Rx 400h 2wd - Ending in 60002207
Lexus 06 Rx 400h 4wd - Ending in 60036526