Wiper blades

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 05:34 AM
Pragmatist
Default Re: Wiper blades

If you look in the "camry hybrid" section of the parts catalog, they only sell whole wiper blades. But the wiper blades on the hybrid are (as near as I can tell) identical to the wiper blades on the regular camry. I have installed these on my camry hybrid. They fit and work just fine.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

Note that the left is different from the right.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

As far as how long your blades will last, 6 months is a pretty good rule. If you're getting longer out of them, you're probably treating them better than the average driver (washing/wiping them off whenever you clean your car is a good start, parking in a garage vs out in the elements, keeping ice off of them in the winter, etc.)

My factory inserts lasted about 10 months before I started to notice lines and/or streaking. They weren't bad, but poor visibility annoys me (that's why I also treat my windshield with Rain-X). The inserts are a pain to replace yourself, I'll have to ask if they'll install them for me for free next time!

Old 03-22-2009, 06:15 PM
Pragmatist

I change mine at the beginning of the rainy season, once a year. But then, we do clean them periodically, and we don't get much snow or ice here in South Florida.

At $4 each for the inserts, I ordered enough for several years. They will keep for at least a few years in the garage, so I may as well avoid the shipping charge for next year.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

SteveHansen - where do you order your inserts from? Do they fit the original equipment hardware and are they difficult to change out?

I quickly looked at the blades and don't see any obvious clips or other way to take the old inserts out and replace them.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:49 AM
Enthusiast

The "clips" are actually molded into the rubber. There's a wedge shape at one end that prevents them from slipping out.

Mine were a pain in the --- to swap out. But all it took was a bit of patience.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:02 AM
Pragmatist

Originally Posted by KenSoren
SteveHansen - where do you order your inserts from? Do they fit the original equipment hardware and are they difficult to change out?
Read the previous messages in this thread.

Originally Posted by KenSoren
I quickly looked at the blades and don't see any obvious clips or other way to take the old inserts out and replace them.
Look closely at how the metal clips on the arm wrap around the insert. One end of the insert is 'fat'. Grab the 'fat' end of the insert with a pair of pliers and pull.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Oops! Guess I missed your link in the first post - that's what I get for trying to speed read my way through these threads.

Thanks for the info - I'll check your source out and give it a try when the time comes. So far I haven't had to replace wiper blades but every three years or so - both cars are garaged and we don't get much rain here and very seldom get any ice or snow. Our Camry was new in January so I have some time to study up on how to do it.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Electricity Guzzler

I had the inserts changed again today. (2nd pair I've put in.)

They were $6.99 CAD a piece. The dealer installed them for free. It does take a little longer than others, that must be why you're dealer is avoiding it. It actually took the service tech a bit of time. It can be a tad tricky to slide in the metal tabs into the inserts. Most that buy these probably oblige the dealer to install them gratis and that's why some dealers may refuse to sell the item. - bloody shame. I'd call Toyota Canada / USA to politely rant if my local dealer gave me some line about them no longer being avail. etc...

I also got a key fob battery for $3.99, most battery places in Ottawa don't stock and wanted $7.99 and couple of weeks to order the battery in. My dealer gave me a Renata battery swiss made. my keyfob battery was almost 3 years old, not weak yet, but I wanted to be prudent.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fullofbeans
... my keyfob battery was almost 3 years old, not weak yet, but I wanted to be prudent.
FYI...the key fob battery life can be shortened if you leave the key within three feet of a charging cell phone or a fluorescent bulb.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
FYI...the key fob battery life can be shortened if you leave the key within three feet of a charging cell phone or a fluorescent bulb.

fluorescent bulb....really??? This I don't remember hearing. Not that we have fluorescent bulbs near our fobs, but why would these shorten the life of a battery?

Quick Reply: Wiper blades

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands