When presented with both, I went for the Prius.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 06:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: When presented with both, I went for the Prius.

Originally Posted by prius12306
I am not a techie on this stuff, but there must be some difference in the hybrid features of the camry vs prius. On my old camry I was getting 33.5 for best MPG average - on long highway trips would get 36. This was on a gas engine. I wanted to go as Green as possible so I went to the prius. I also needed to get a car that qualifies as a "green" commuter car to drive on the NYS Thruway. Camry did not qualify. I am hoping that I can get used to losing some of the things I loved about the camry - the sunroof for 1. Being as green as possible is very important to me and the camry just wasn't going to cut it. Hopefully that answers your questions as to what I meant by "full hybrid".
Very logical....and the NYS thruway savings are big plus! I avoid the thruway like the plague because of the tolls. I went with the Camry because size was a little more important (I was going to buy a truck!). I choose the hybrid Camry because I believed if no one supports the technology (buying it) then it will never improve.

I would be interesting knowing some of the technological differences, if anyone knows.

Enjoy the Prius!! It's a cool car.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

I went with the Camry Hybrid because I didn't want to compromise power or space for better gas mileage. I wanted to have my cake and eat it too.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just rented a Prius yesterday. A few observations:

1. The split rear window was annoying, and made me feel like my rearview mirror was never in correct position. Also, in the rain the bottom section of the rear window below the wiper was never clear.
2. Several features made me feel like I was driving a goofy toy car...the steering wheel seemed small, the dorky little joystick shifter on the dash, the tacky audible chirp sound when you use the touch screen, the claxon when reversing, and the lack of any visible hood when looking out the windshieild.
3. The dash gauges were poorly designed. They are on top of the dash toward the rear near the windshield, so that the display is several feet further from your face than the Camry.
4. There was considerably more wind noise and engine acceleration noise.
5. The stereo was considerably poorer in design and accoustics than the Camry JBL.
6. It was easy to get 50-51 mpg.
7. Backseat is very big for the size of the car. Not as big as the Camry but very practical nonetheless.
8. Handling and acceleration weren't noticeably better or worse than the Camry.

Bottom line -- if Toyota offered a loaded, more deluxe version with better interior, more sound insulation, better dash design, without the split rear window, I would buy it. But I would not want the current model just for 15 more mpg. It confirmed how much I like my Camry.

Last edited by LEAKYTCH; 05-08-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pepsi
I went with the Camry Hybrid because I didn't want to compromise power or space for better gas mileage. I wanted to have my cake and eat it too.
The harder goal is to: eat your cake and have it to.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:59 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr Bean
I just placed an order for a metallic grey Package #8 Prius.

Do you still love your Prius? How much real MPG do you get?

I got 28MPG city, 49 Hwy, and 65 rural routes.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:30 AM
Professional Hacker

Originally Posted by Mr Bean
  1. No one outside of a burning man festival ever got laid because he drove a Prius.
That pretty funny. Ironically, I bought a Camry BECAUSE I got laid... I was not able to fit a rear-facing child seat in the back of my old car.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:05 PM
HAPPY TCH OWNER

It's funny but everyone has their idea of the right compromise in a car, as every car has it's pluses and minuses. I also have a 07' BMW 530I with the sport suspension black on black and chrome 18"'s with low profile tires and all the goodies.
At just under $60k you would think it's ideal. NOT SO! When the lease is up I will not keep it and I don't think I want another one. Too many issues, hard ride, no place to put anything lousy nav. software issues, etc. But boy is it fast, handles like a mother, and it looks amazing. It will get anyone laid! But for $60k it should.
For your needs (stuffing it full of camping gear) I think you made the right choice for you. The Prius is a great car. See the link below for some of the reasons the TCH was right for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWigWOB1IHo
By the way here in SoCal it looks like every 6th car is now a Prius.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:19 PM
Professional Hacker

That video pretty much summed it up for me.
I went in with the intention of buying a Prius Package 5, and left with a fully loaded Camry.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Agreed...that video says it all. I much prefer the Camry over the Prius, especially since the cost factor is not that great between them.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:44 PM
Enthusiast

We have both; actually we had two Priuses and then got rid of one for the Camry. Neither car is perfect, though the Prius is a better choice for most of my driving. The Camry has better seats, a quieter cabin, and more power in reserve. The Prius is more economical, much better at carrying cargo, and a more suitable size for cramped urban environments (parking in tiny underground San Francisco parking lots). I did have to spend $2k to get decent sound in the Prius though (and it was a DIY project).

Quick Reply: When presented with both, I went for the Prius.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands