When presented with both, I went for the Prius.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 04:40 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: When presented with both, I went for the Prius.

I just checked the inventory of my dealer.
Prius 40 (was 50 two weeks ago)
Camry HV 6 (was 25 two weeks ago)

Old 05-31-2007, 05:16 AM
old fart

I had both the 05 and 06 prius and now own the 07 camry.I cant say one bad thing about the prius or the camry.I wouldnt worry about the batt.at your age you will have a new car before the 8 yr warranty is up.
I do miss the trunk space on the prius but can live with the space on the camry. enjoy

Old 05-31-2007, 05:32 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by duanerw
I had both the 05 and 06 prius and now own the 07 camry.I cant say one bad thing about the prius or the camry.I wouldnt worry about the batt.at your age you will have a new car before the 8 yr warranty is up.
I do miss the trunk space on the prius but can live with the space on the camry. enjoy
Pretty much the way I feel.
I had an '04 Prius (BC Pkg 5) which I traded in on the '07 Camry HV (Option C). I really liked the trade in value for the Prius (100% of my purchase price less taxes) after 2 years. I do like the Camry more than the Prius in certain respects. It rides smoother probably due to the longer wheelbase(?). The high resolution screen on the NAV compared to the Prius. Also the Camry is a better road machine. It's steering is more stable at highway speeds and it doesn't strain on hills nearly as much as my Prius did. It does strain more than my wife's '07 Camry XLE-V6 though so that's our real road machine. I never got close to 60 mpg on the Prius (more like 45/50) but always get 40 mpg on the Camry.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:08 AM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS

I agree completely with the OP-except in respect to the oddball 1950's movie spaceship styling of the Prius.It stands out much more than a Camry.Now, will it get you-intimacy??-I'm 56 and married,so....
If you look at the numbers the Prius beats the HCH II like a drum!
1)Acceleration
2) mpg-the actual mpg difference betwen the two is much more(according to CR and the EPA,and the Euros) for the average casual driver than the #'s here indicate.
3)Much easier,and more comfortable for older folks to get in and out.The seats are higher and more comfortable also.
4)Much more useable "hauling" volume.
The HCHII is said to have a more sporting suspension, but how sporting can a 12.5 sec 0-60 car be?? Slow is slow; no way around that!It does have more traditional styling.
The Camry VS Prius comparison-they are very different. Now one little pick; a Corolla can't/won't beat or match the Camry Hybrid in mpg.The hy mpg will be very close, but in heavy city driving the Camry is about 5 mpg or more better.We had a 2001 Corolla; in the same stoplight to stoplight driving the Prius was ~19mpg better(23 vs 42 average) We would probably get 30+ mpg with a Camry Hybrid.
Luck,
Charlie
PS I can't resist tweaking the Hondites!! They cling to that 1mpg difference even as it slowly widens as more "normal" drivers buy and post with the HCHII.If they were a less fanatic bunch the difference would be 5 or more mpg.They all but get out and push to post the #s they post.
I am kidding;I own a couple of Hondas(not a HCHII of course)
Thanks,
Charlie

Old 05-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Enthusiast

I owned a 1992 v6 XLE camry that I traded in 2003 for the 2004 XLE camry (not V6). I did not really like the Prius at the time. I just traded in the camry for a 2008 prius which I should pick up next week. I chose the Prius over the camry for the mileage and the fact that it is a full hybrid. I drove the prius and yes, it does not ride like the camry, but I am willing to give that up for the mileage.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by prius12306
I owned a 1992 v6 XLE camry that I traded in 2003 for the 2004 XLE camry (not V6). I did not really like the Prius at the time. I just traded in the camry for a 2008 prius which I should pick up next week. I chose the Prius over the camry for the mileage and the fact that it is a full hybrid. I drove the prius and yes, it does not ride like the camry, but I am willing to give that up for the mileage.
What do you mean by "full hybrid"?

Old 05-07-2008, 01:35 PM
Enthusiast

I am not a techie on this stuff, but there must be some difference in the hybrid features of the camry vs prius. On my old camry I was getting 33.5 for best MPG average - on long highway trips would get 36. This was on a gas engine. I wanted to go as Green as possible so I went to the prius. I also needed to get a car that qualifies as a "green" commuter car to drive on the NYS Thruway. Camry did not qualify. I am hoping that I can get used to losing some of the things I loved about the camry - the sunroof for 1. Being as green as possible is very important to me and the camry just wasn't going to cut it. Hopefully that answers your questions as to what I meant by "full hybrid".

Old 05-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Pragmatist

Originally Posted by Mr Bean
No one outside of a burning man festival ever got laid because he drove a Prius.
So, you're going to Burning Man this year?

Old 05-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Enthusiast

I wish

Old 05-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Driving in stealth mode

Last time I checked they hae the same technology in them. The only difference is their size I believe.

Quick Reply: When presented with both, I went for the Prius.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands