What's that burning smell?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 06:15 AM
my other car is a FJORD
Default Re: What's that burning smell?

Originally Posted by wxman3
I just went and pulled mine out. It was barely hanging on....after I ripped it out, I got to thinking ....what if this foam is there to block crap from that scoopy vent thing right there on the front of the engine. I'll probably suck in a duck or something. That'll KILL my FE!
won't do much for the duck either.......

Old 06-12-2007, 07:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Add mine to the list! Later this morning, I have an appointment for the 15,000 oil change at the dealer, and I decided to look under the hood while the car is cool, and still in my garage. You know, check the oil level prior to the change, etc. (Full, BTW) Lo and behold, the infamous foam strip has come unglued from one end (drivers side end), and it was laying against the exhaust. I tucked the loose end under the air intake, to secure it temporarely until I discuss this with the dealer today at noon. I will report back.

Japanese built, delivered July 2006, 15000 miles. Oh I already siad that.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:11 PM

Update: Back from the dealer, they have ordered a new foam and will install it under warranty when it arrives, later this week. BTW, the adhesive is located on the front of the foam (width), the very narrow part, and it is along the whole length of the piece.

Last edited by jbollt; 06-12-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

I now have 20,000 miles on my TCH since reporting this problem. I was the first to encounter it. The dealer ordered the part and replaced it about 8,000 miles and I have not had any problem with the replacement.
I am glads I was able to point this out to all of you who responded. It may have saved you all some concern. Frankly, I can't see what possible good it may do except cause airflow to be fully directed at the radiator rather than some of that good air sneaking over the top.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you for the photos! I got the same burning tar smell yesterday as I drove a co-worker home...he was impressed by the car but choked by the smell.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:55 PM

The dealer replaced the foam piece today, with the specialy ordered part. Repair order states:
Customer states: foam above radiator, fell out. //SOP in
Cause: Lack of adhesive.
Replace Foam
Part # 16561-28031 Seal, Radiator to SU
Replaced Foam Buffer due to seperation // OK at this time

Old 08-17-2007, 05:04 PM
Electricity Guzzler

My foam just came loose finally after having the car for 1 months and 30 000 km. I have been keeping an eye on it. the center had sagged out and a simple tug brought the whole thing out. Fortunately it didn't get a chance to melt all over the place.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

My foam decided to go for a walk earlier today, ended up not getting very far, it also melted to the catylitic converter

Off to the dealer I go...

Old 08-27-2007, 09:27 AM
SPL

While I was having my second (16 000-km) oil-change done last week, I noticed a 2008 TCH on the showroom floor, and took the opportunity to examine it for differences. (See my post in the thread "2008 Camry Hybrid (new) Features" for my report.) I noticed that the foam-rubber strip between the top of the radiator and the steel cross-member (which as we know has a habit of blowing out, landing on the adjacent hot exhaust manifold, and burning) has been approximately doubled in thickness, but still appears to be a friction fit. The service manager says that the replacement foam strip is not yet available, but perhaps the new version will soon be available for retro-fitting to our vehicles. The part number has not changed, by the way. This is the only difference that I could see under the hood!

Stan