What's that burning smell?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 08:38 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What's that burning smell?

Originally Posted by WillyBill
So..if anyone else smells something burning, check this out first.
We were taking the car in this morning and I just read this post. We have exactly the same problem. As my wife says, "This is why we don't buy cars in a new model year."

Will Mayall

Old 05-14-2007, 08:58 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by mayall
"This is why we don't buy cars in a new model year."

Will Mayall
Thanks, frees up a tax credit for someone else.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Thanks, frees up a tax credit for someone else.
AMT prevented us (and many others) from getting the credit.

Will Mayall

Old 05-14-2007, 09:19 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Avoiding the first model year might apply in some situations apply but I think Toyota is the better than the average manufacturer. Giving the reason for not purchasing a car because of a issue with a foam strip is, lets say, paranoid?
If a car is going to be overengineered it's going to be in the first model year from then on cost cutting/cheapening sets in. I'm glad as can be I got by '07 TCH and '07 XLE-V6 early. Got'em while the "geewiz" factor was in high gear.
I guess I make enough money and pay enough taxes where I got the full tax credit on the TCH.
I'm a happy camper.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Giving the reason for not purchasing a car because of a issue with a foam strip is, lets say, paranoid?...I'm a happy camper.
I'm also a happy camper. The TCH is a great car and, for a first year model, there seem to be very few problems. But I would have waited a year if it hadn't been such a perfect match for our immediate needs.

The foam strip is simply symptomatic of the issues often seen with new models. It's obvious that the strip is not done quite right and I'm sure Toyota will improve it. I'd guess that there are other issues that will be ironed out over the first year and that the foam strip is not the worst of them.

Will Mayall

Old 05-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Too Smug

I noticed this problem last winter and have a Japanese-built TCH. I guess its just a design flaw. I scraped the burnt foam off the catalytic converter and removed the rest. I don't notice any impact on performance, quietness, etc.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

I fixed my strip so far with a simple procedure. I can't guarantee it will hold up forever, but it's worked well for me so far.

I bought some (very sticky) glue at the hardware store that is heat resistant and stays soft after drying (unlike Elmers glue which forms a solid shell). It came in a soft, plastic tube and does not require mixing. I coated the underside of the foam strip (only the portion that had already detached) and pressed it back on to the radiator. After two weeks, the foam piece is still quite firmly attached and there is no unusual odor. There are no signs at all that a repair was made either. I don't have the name of the glue I used on hand right now, but I can get it once I get home from work.

IMPORTANT!
To be safe, leave your hood open for 30 min or so after doing this procedure to ensure ventilation, especially if your engine is hot. Many brands of glue will emit some flammable vapors as they dry and you don't want hot engine parts to ignite them.

NOTES: Don't put too much glue on the strip. You don't want it to leak out all over the radiator. Also, make sure you press the glued foam strip down firmly over all areas that you glued to make sure the glue attached firmly to the radiator and absorbs into the foam a little. I pressed mine down for a minute or so. It's a little difficult getting your fingers in the right position but not impossible. I did this procedure while the engine was hot, which wasn't the smartest idea. If you decide to do this with a hot engine, be very careful not to touch the exhaust manifold (The large, silver cylinder running down the front of your engine)! It takes less than a second to get a 3rd degree burn if touch it while hot.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:52 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I took a closer look at my TCH last night, and I now believe that the foam strip above the radiator that's causing all the trouble may actually not be glued in at all, but merely held in by friction! I'm now not sure that there's any double-sided adhesive tape there to hold the foam in. I also noticed that my foam is now dangerously loose, and might soon pop out. If I'm right that there's no adhesive tape present, then maybe the foam is simply too thin to stay in place long term, and simply needs to be replaced by a thicker foam strip. What do you think?

By the way, I also examined the sides of the radiator, and believe it or not, there is a (thicker) foam strip on either side of the radiator too. Moreover, these are also apparently not glued in either, but held in by friction (you can pull them in and out slightly quite easily). In this case there appear to be enough other obstacles round about to keep the foam in place, however.

Stan

Old 06-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Enthusiast

The foam piece on my new TCH is secure and doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon. Built in Ky for what it's worth.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:34 PM
2nd Driver

Originally Posted by HybridFan
that's weird?!? My ... my double-side tape is stuck to the frame/bracket above, not the radiator ... at ~45 degrees above the radiator (vs. 90 degrees, i.e. directly on top above), i.e more towards the front of the car. That said, the tape pieces are not glued to the radiator itself.
Having followed this thread I decided to check for myself - Japan-built TCH.

And found the foam, after a bit of mystification, exactly where described - back under the body piece stretching across the front above the radiator - at @ 45 degrees.

Mine was loose in a few places, but not hanging down, and seemed to reattach when pressed back into place - so will follow-up in time ahead. Will use a hand mirror next time to be able to see where it goes and what it appears to be doing.

Has anyone ever been able to get a straight, clear answer from a dealer as to what the purpose of the foam is - and how it is properly installed?

Quick Reply: What's that burning smell?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands