What did you trade in to buy your new Camry?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 08:34 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: What did you trade in to buy your new Camry?

I sold my 1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass (with only 80,000 miles) to CarMax and bought my 2009 TCH on Tax Day (April 15th). I was barely getting 20mpg on an all city/suburban tank though an all highway would bring a bit over 30mpg. The Cutlass had been very reliable but the leather seats were cracked and torn and then sometime in March it developed a coolant leak that was somehow getting into the engine oil.

With the rising cost of gas, and the repairs being close to the value of the car, I decided a new car was a much better option. I had already been reading a lot about hybrids so it didn't take me long to settle on the TCH.

--A2K

Old 05-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Enthusiast

Traded in a '05 Tacoma Double Cab V6 with 6 speed manual. Getting 17 miles/gallon was killing me. 3 people at dealership didn't even know that Toyota made a 6 speed double cab. I didn't see it on their lot the weekend after I traded it. Hated to let it go.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Enthusiast

I traded in my '06 Camry V6 XLE two weeks ago for a '09 TCH. I was always a little annoyed that they changed the body style a few months after I bought the '06. I am enamoured with all the tech in the TCH and I get great FE to boot. I don't really miss any performance from the V6. I don't really care for the sound of the 4-cyl when the horsepower is needed, but the horsepower is there none the less.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Originally Posted by swhoutx035
I traded in my '06 Camry V6 XLE two weeks ago for a '09 TCH. I was always a little annoyed that they changed the body style a few months after I bought the '06. I am enamoured with all the tech in the TCH and I get great FE to boot. I don't really miss any performance from the V6. I don't really care for the sound of the 4-cyl when the horsepower is needed, but the horsepower is there none the less.
How is the power in the V6 vs the TCH? Everything I have read says that the power is supposed to be near equivalent.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It seems that they've beefed up the V6 for the latest model year. It's 268 vs. 187 for the hybrid. It used to be a lot closer (if memory serves). I've still got the print brochures from the 2007 model year so I can verify when I get home.

Where the TCH really shines is the torque that the electric motors can deliver on demand.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Driving in stealth mode

Yea I read that about the torque too. Pretty interesting. Isn't that why the Tesla can take off so fast so quick?

Old 05-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, the '06 V6 Camry did not have as much HP as the '07-09.

With the CVT in the hybrid, and the instant torque from the electric motor, there isn't any appreciable difference from a standing stop.

I do notice a little less pick-up when passing at high-way speeds though.

However, I've been playing the TCH video game (the energy & consumption screens) and have found myself driving completely differently than I did in the V6.

Last edited by swhoutx035; 05-30-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Driving in stealth mode

Ah yes....welcome to the game. Don't forget to post your "High Score".

Old 05-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Enthusiast

I'm trying it now...

Old 05-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Enthusiast

I traded a 2006 Subaru WRX STI. It was an amazing street-legal race car. I found out (too late) that my dream car was too fast, and too bouncy for an older gent (40 now! ). I have always had lots of cars and changed them frequently (over 38 of them so far). I wanted to replace the STI with a comfortable, quiet, high quality car. I had decided on either a TCH or a 08 Lexus ES350. For $10K less I got the same ride, smoothness and quality, not to mention the mileage. I drove them back to back on the same day and was amazed at how good the TCH was.
One thing I should tell you all is that I have also had a 2001 & 2006 Prius. The TCH is light years more comfy, powerful and quiet. All that and only a 5-10 MPG penalty. Well worth it in my book.

I also have an 2008 Honda Fit Sport and 1995 Camry XLE V6 at the moment. What can I say? I like variety.

Quick Reply: What did you trade in to buy your new Camry?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands