VCS And Multiple Dash Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 10:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default VCS And Multiple Dash Lights

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE
91,000 Miles

These are not recent codes. Long Story. Just need to see if this car is still saveable or not.

Car Dash Lit up numerous lights.
Car won't go fast enough for freeway speeds, and I've replaced a few minor things including:
-MAF Sensor
-Engine Air Filter
-Gas Cap

And:
12 V Battery

Just want to start the conversation with this. Thank you

] HVAC-(Climate Control)
[ ] B1421-Solar Sensor Circuit (Passenger Side)
[ ] B1424-Solar Sensor Circuit (Driver's Side)
[ ] Wheel & Tire:
[ ] C2122-No Signal from transmitter in ID2 in Main Mode
[ ] C2124-No signal from Transmitter ID4 in Main Mode
[ ] Airbags
[ ] B1653-Seat Position Air Bag Sensor Circuit Malfunction
[ ] B1655-Airbags/Driver's Side Seat Belt Buckle Switch Circuit Malfunction
[ ] B1821-Open in Front Drivers Side--Side Squib Circuit
[ ] Hybrid Vehicle Control
[ ] C1241-Is A low voltage (12V) to the brake controller system Skid Control ECU (C1256 is The Brake Accumulator Low Pressure, which is common to see if C1241 is thrown)
[ ] Power Steering
[ ] C1532--ECU Malfunction
[ ] Anti-Lock Brake
[ ] C1311--Open in Main Relay 1 Circuit
[ ] C1313--Open in Main Relay 2 Circuit
[ ] 5/11/2018

Old 02-13-2020, 04:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: VCS And Multiple Dash Lights

Report current codes. Codes from 1.5 years ago are beyond worthless.

Old 02-15-2020, 08:27 PM
Enthusiast

Ok recent codes:
Today, Feb 15, 2020

P3023
P3027
P0A7F

B1753
B1655
B1821

C1241
C1259
C1310

Old 02-16-2020, 09:58 AM

Bad hybrid battery.

You also likely have a compromised battery cooling system. P0A7F is relatively rare, and it's usually associated with battery cooling system issues (contamination/clogging/choking).

P302X are why the car drives like crap. At least one cell in two blocks has failed.

Last edited by S Keith; 02-16-2020 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:22 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Bad hybrid battery.

You also likely have a compromised battery cooling system. P0A7F is relatively rare, and it's usually associated with battery cooling system issues (contamination/clogging/choking).

P302X are why the car drives like crap. At least one cell in two blocks has failed.

So, it is not a Relay possibly causing the POA7F?

Old 02-16-2020, 06:01 PM

Only if that's an undocumented failure mode, i.e., Toyota doesn't know about it, hasn't included it in their repair manual, hasn't included it in their service bulletins AND haven't told dealerships/techs about it.

There are other codes associated with the main HV battery relay.

You have 4 symptoms:
1) P3023 - bad block 13 in hybrid battery - bad HV battery
2) P3027 - bad block 17 in hybrid battery - bad HV battery
3) P0A7F - HV battery or HV battery computer
4) Poor driving performance - HV battery.

4 of the 4 indicate bad hybrid battery. Couple that with the fact that one of the worst things you can do with a hybrid is let it sit or underutilize it as indicated by your low mileage, and the likelihood of it being the HV battery just goes up.

1 of the 4 MAY indicate the HV battery computer. In order to eliminate that, you need to be able to record the 17 block voltages:
  1. Fully warm up the engine and turn the air conditioning off.
  2. Firmly depress the brake pedal and hold with your left foot.
  3. Move the shift lever to the D position.
  4. Record each battery block voltage from the data list (V1 to V17 BATT BLOCK) while fully depressing the accelerator pedal.
  5. Compare the battery block voltages (V1 to V17 BATT BLOCK) between the even and odd number groups in each combination shown:
V1 and V2
V3 and V4
V5 and V6
V7 and V8
V9 and V10
V11 and V12
V13 and V14
V15 and V16
V16 and V17

Take the absolute value of the differences in the voltages in the above 9 block combinations.

IF ALL NINE ARE 0.3V OR GREATER, the HV battery computer is bad. This is EXTREMELY uncommon. If even ONE of the 9 is less than 0.3V, then it's the HV battery.

More often P0A7F is caused by excessive internal resistance due to heat damage from a compromised cooling system - bad HV battery.

Also, what took you so long? You asked for help and complained when it took me 18 hours to respond (7 of which I was asleep, 10 of which I was busy working), but it took you over two days to provide the information needed to help you? You're quick with speculative nonsense, but meaningful info takes you over two days?

Old 02-16-2020, 08:27 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you Kieth for your input. I sincerely appreciate the honesty.

As I stated on my post/thread, I'm new. I didn't know HOW to make a post, or WHERE I was putting my questions.

There is not a button that says: Post questions here"

Or a Reply button.

There are several buttons of which I am unfamiliar with. The Quote mark, the triangle mark and the other one I think to put in a link? One says Quote? Still don't know which button to push to reply.

I am sorry for the confusion, and the urgency I posted with. I was hoping someone would reply to my comment, and tell me WHERE OR HOW to get my questions answered.

I meant no offense. I'm sorry you took offense.

As for the delay in getting back to what you commented, it's twofold. I wasn'tsure where I could get the codes read for a decent price, and also needed someone available to follow me. I didn't want to just hop in and break down along the way to getting diagnostics. That required getting someone else's schedule to collaborate a follow.

I also will post separately, the position I'm in with this car. I wanted to keep the questions objective.

Thank you again Kieth for replying, and the time you've invested in helping everyone here with all your knowledge.

Nyki
ImaginePossibilities

Originally Posted by S Keith
Only if that's an undocumented failure mode, i.e., Toyota doesn't know about it, hasn't included it in their repair manual, hasn't included it in their service bulletins AND haven't told dealerships/techs about it.

There are other codes associated with the main HV battery relay.

You have 4 symptoms:
1) P3023 - bad block 13 in hybrid battery - bad HV battery
2) P3027 - bad block 17 in hybrid battery - bad HV battery
3) P0A7F - HV battery or HV battery computer
4) Poor driving performance - HV battery.

4 of the 4 indicate bad hybrid battery. Couple that with the fact that one of the worst things you can do with a hybrid is let it sit or underutilize it as indicated by your low mileage, and the likelihood of it being the HV battery just goes up.

1 of the 4 MAY indicate the HV battery computer. In order to eliminate that, you need to be able to record the 17 block voltages:
  1. Fully warm up the engine and turn the air conditioning off.
  2. Firmly depress the brake pedal and hold with your left foot.
  3. Move the shift lever to the D position.
  4. Record each battery block voltage from the data list (V1 to V17 BATT BLOCK) while fully depressing the accelerator pedal.
  5. Compare the battery block voltages (V1 to V17 BATT BLOCK) between the even and odd number groups in each combination shown:
V1 and V2
V3 and V4
V5 and V6
V7 and V8
V9 and V10
V11 and V12
V13 and V14
V15 and V16
V16 and V17

Take the absolute value of the differences in the voltages in the above 9 block combinations.

IF ALL NINE ARE 0.3V OR GREATER, the HV battery computer is bad. This is EXTREMELY uncommon. If even ONE of the 9 is less than 0.3V, then it's the HV battery.

More often P0A7F is caused by excessive internal resistance due to heat damage from a compromised cooling system - bad HV battery.

Also, what took you so long? You asked for help and complained when it took me 18 hours to respond (7 of which I was asleep, 10 of which I was busy working), but it took you over two days to provide the information needed to help you? You're quick with speculative nonsense, but meaningful info takes you over two days?

Old 02-16-2020, 09:24 PM

Best place to get codes read is O'Reilly Auto Parts. They do it for free and use Bosch brand code readers.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:27 PM
Enthusiast

That is where I ended up going. That is also where a gentleman told me the POA code may be Relay related. Thank you.

Did you happen to see my post about selling it? I just posted the question. Not urgent.

Nyki
ImaginePossibilities

Old 02-16-2020, 09:36 PM

While the code readers in use at O'Reilly are top-notch, the vast majority of the folks operating them have NO idea about hybrids. They frequently mis-diagnose. The gentleman had no arguable reason for making a comment like that. Though, to his credit, he might have just been trying to make you feel better. Unfortunately, I'm not wired that way. How one feels about their vehicle makes no difference when troubleshooting a problem. It's all about the data and the probabilities. I often come across as a d!ck for that reason. Well... not just THAT reason. Several others.

Quick Reply: VCS And Multiple Dash Lights

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands