USA Spec Model PA12 TOY Now Available

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 05:05 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: USA Spec Model PA12 TOY Now Available

OK, now the downside:

I got my 6 Gen ipod Classic that uses a firmware above 1.1.

The PA20 does not support it's Hybrid Mode with ipod classic with ipod firmware 1.1 and higher. Hybrid mode allows you to view song titles on the Nav Screen and have full control over the iPod itself (including viewing of Song names and cover art on the iPod, changing ipod settings etc).

With the iPod Nano I used Hybrid Mode: I had full control over the iPod click wheel, cover art, etc. had access to song titles on the Nav screen and could skip forward and backward using the steering wheel controls. Song length was also listed.

With my iPod Classic I can use either "Direct Mode" or "playlist Mode".

Direct Mode: Full access to iPod Click Wheel, cover art, iPod settings, etc. Steering Wheel controls work great with the iPod. Fast forward, back, etc. Nav screen DOES NOT display song titles. Song length is not listed.

Playlist Mode: Song title is displayed on Nav Screen when driving (not artist name). All song details are displayed when car not moving. Steering Wheel controls work. Song length is listed in Nav. Listing of all songs and playlists is seen in Nav. Sort by Artist and Album available in Nav screen. iPod controls are totally disabled. Cover Art is not displayed on iPod, but with the iPod Classic, it does still show the artist name and song on the iPod. iPod no longer will display X of XXXX songs.

I am going to use the Direct Mode so that I have control over the iPod settings and can still see the album art.

I usually display the consumption or map screens on my Nav, so switching to the song title is only temporary before it returns to the consumption. It isn't perfect, but I will be happy with Direct Mode.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've installed both the Toyota XM kit and the USA Spec IPod kit into my '08 TCH with NAV system.

Being mildly psychotic, handy with tools, and infested with a bored teenager, the project was not all that difficult. Although, I at one time, kind of did that sort of thing for a living, hence the Radio Tek name.

The XM kit went in first, but I "cheated" and went by a dealership and nicely asked for the instructions. They were invaluable. A week later the IPod kit went in at the pleading of aforementioned teen.

The experience with the XM kit made the IPod kit a snap. The interface cable to the head unit has a 'pass through' type adapter which plugged into the same jack as the XM kit and the XM kit plugged into that. The end that went into the head unit took a little shaving of corners to fit properly. I hope my experience was an anomaly.

The cable for the iPod was fed through a conveniently sized gap in the side of the pass through hole on the right side of the storage box. If you take out the plugs and look carefully, you'll see the gap.

The interface box itself was small enough to wedge between the carpet and insulation up at the top left corner of the passenger footwell with no trouble.

Since I am not an iPod user, I can't give any info about the functions except that the head unit sees it as a multidisc CD changer, it starts and stops automatically when the car is turned on and off, and that it seems to like to have the iPod set up with something called 'playlists'.

I don't get to drive the car enough to get used to all the little neat things that it can do, but when it comes to physical installation and such things; I come into my own.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just a follow-up after a few weeks with the PA20 from USA Spec.

1) I have the latest generation iPod Classic (with coverflow). I don't recommend this model iPod with the PA20. You can not use the "hybrid mode". The disabled hybrid mode would normally allow you to have full iPod control while still being able to access song title on the nav screen.

2) When the car is moving, the TCH prevents access to the playlists (totally crazy Toyota restriction), making it impossible to switch from one playlist to another while the car is moving. An arrow up/down option for playlists exist, but I can't get it to work when the car is moving.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:35 AM
Enthusiast

Backupguy......your info is exactly what I have been looking for. I have an 09 TCH with Nav ordered. Your last image shows the PA12 "plugged in" somewhere.......where is it plugged in? Is it out of sight....except when you wanted to photo it? I am thinking of having my dealer order the PA12 so that it is there when the TCH comes in. Where does the iPod go.... in the gloive box? Thanks for your post

Old 05-21-2008, 07:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have the PA20, not the PA12. The TCH with NAV needs the PA20 version not the PA12.

The Nav Unit must be removed so that the PA20 can be plugged into the back of the Nav unit. I believe it goes into a CD changer input. The dealer ran the input cable and control box to the center console storage area. The PA20 control box could be mounted in the glove box or even under a seat for future access. You can put the iPod in the glove box or another location. I use the cup holder.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by backupguy
Just a follow-up after a few weeks with the PA20 from USA Spec.

1) I have the latest generation iPod Classic (with coverflow). I don't recommend this model iPod with the PA20. You can not use the "hybrid mode". The disabled hybrid mode would normally allow you to have full iPod control while still being able to access song title on the nav screen.

2) When the car is moving, the TCH prevents access to the playlists (totally crazy Toyota restriction), making it impossible to switch from one playlist to another while the car is moving. An arrow up/down option for playlists exist, but I can't get it to work when the car is moving.
See, now why can't someone make a generic interface device for all MP3 players that look at them like a hard drive?

It would read the contents of the device (or even be able to handle the devices database), pick the songs and play them...all while sending the data to the head unit. I just don't understand why there are so many issues with these things.

For number 2, the SPG or override would eliminate that problem -- of course it should not be restricted anyhow. I love how we pay $250 for a bunch of restricted software that cannot be used half the time. We do have passengers!