TCH Trunk won't close-Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default TCH Trunk won't close-Any advice?

Was at home and opened the trunk and am now unable to close it. All the mechanics are clear in the trunk so I can't figure out why. Anyone have any ideas...other than the obvious...wait til morning and it will work or I'll visit the dealer on warranty.

I do have a spare key so I'll go check that now...but the wisdom/experience of those on this board is greater than mine. Thanks.

Spare Key Did Not Help

Last edited by wdmark; 05-13-2008 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Spare Key did nothing
Old 05-14-2008, 09:29 AM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: TCH Trunk won't close-Any advice?

Stuck cable release? (Did you use the interior release handle to open it?)

Old 05-14-2008, 01:44 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH Trunk won't close-Any advice?

Can you clarify what you mean by you can't close it? Do you mean it wont lock or when you press it down, it wont latch and freely opens again?

The reason I ask is if you had your smartkey in a bag or something and put it in the truck, it will not lock. This means that if you try to open the trunk it will open. It with latch close though, but it won't lock. Also, I believe it will sound a 2 second or so beep if you close the trunk with the key in it.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default UPDATE Re: TCH Trunk won't close-Any advice?

Was unable to latch trunk closed and I'd checked the cable release and made sure that hinges could move freely.

Used the child latch and a bungee cord to hold the trunk closed enough to get to the dealer for warranty service. Yet another "expensive" fix had I been out of warranty. The dealer ordered a new electronic latch to get here Friday. Service manager advises that the part would have cost $500. He got the trunk closed and instructed me to only use the cable until the replacement. Strange noises and possibility of getting it stuck again if I use the smart key and just lift the trunk or the key button.

Still love my TCH but heck...with 17K+ miles...the parts alone that have been replaced on Warranty for me (including this one) probably approaching $5000. Annoyance of multiple trips to dealer proably totaling 400 miles at 30 Miles RT. Does not bode well for 19K miles from now.....when labor and parts will kick in. Not the Toyota Quality I had with my 1993 V6XLE or my 1985 Camry 4 Cyl. Problem is...there is no comparable car to the TCH....so what am I to do?

Old 05-15-2008, 02:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: UPDATE Re: TCH Trunk won't close-Any advice?

Originally Posted by wdmark
....so what am I to do?
Write a letter to Toyota.
May not do anything, but if you feel quality is inferior, let them know.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:02 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: UPDATE Re: TCH Trunk won't close-Any advice?

Originally Posted by haroldo
Write a letter to Toyota.
May not do anything, but if you feel quality is inferior, let them know.
Yes, I will probably do that...certainly while I have warranty plenty of warranty left (November is my 2 year mark). Perhaps with a view to extended warranty on them. As I said, I love the car which has never failed to run, even with the converter/transmission leak at 1700 miles. I want to see how this and recent other one plays out right now first.

Who knows, they might pay attention to a long time customer. My 1985 was mfg in Japan. My 1993 , I insisted on Georgetown(then only US Site) My TCH I'm thinking I should have insisted on Japan.....but given when I was in the market...I probably would never have gotten one. My TCH is early Georgetown TCH production.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH Trunk won't close-Any advice-Postcript

Dealer got the part in and repaired under warranty today. Per the invoice the part was "640201 LUGGAGE COMP DR LOCKASSY" My invoice was zero but saw the dealer's part cost of $467.76.

Next steps...contact with Toyota...before possible upcoming purchase of another Toyota (not a replacement of my TCH)