unintended acceleration & brake failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: unintended acceleration & brake failure

Originally Posted by wwest
At age 68 I have no problems disclosing a few things.

A number of years ago, just shortly after the introduction of the Mazda miata, I test drove one at the dealer and had an instance of unintended acceleration. The dealer had installed temporary cardboard floor mats to protect the factory mats and unbeknownst to me the mat had slipped forward and was between the brake pedal and the gas pedal. I had a few harrowing minutes on that test drive let me tell you.

Within the past 4-5 years I had the same thing happen to me with a minivan rented on our vacation, the harder I pressed on the brake the more the engine ROARED.

Most recently driving our MH near dusk going westbound over Rodgers pass into Missoula MT two deer suddenly appeared in my headlights. My immediate reaction was to JAM on the brakes and couldn't figure out why the brakes had no effect. In retrospect I realized that I had tried to press my foot through the floorboard.

Missed the deer anyway.

Absent specific training, say as in flight training, repetitive practice flight training, none of us can really predict what actions we might take in a PANIC situation.
At 73, without having been in the car, and looking at all the information available to me I would agree with you.

I leave you to interpret that sentence.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BOFH
The concern that has been voiced in the past is that the information in the 'black box' could be used outside of its intended purposes. ie. pulled over on the highway, officer plugs in a reader and knows what speed you have been going in the last xx minutes, how hard you accelerated etc.
Beyond that, insurance companies are not trying to have people "install" a new insurance black box and in return receive a measly 5% insurance cost reduction. These "black boxes" us GPS to track movements, speed, and additional data. In some cases, they actually wirelessly transmitt such data to the insurance company for tracking to determine when you speed, where you're going, how many miles you travel, how fast you accelerate and so on.

Count me out...for the same reasons why I don't use EZ-Pass.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:29 AM
Enthusiast

Update AUG 2010- Both TMC and Transport Canada are aware of potential electronics problem and are investigating. I've offered my car to both parties for lab testing to try and recreate the computer glitch, but no takers. I don't know how 'they' will ever find the problem without actually using a 'defective' vehicle.

I've been on the media (TV & print) in Canada a number of times and have the contact numbers for those reporters. Should I have another 'incident', I'm calling the media first, then CAA to tow the vehicle to my garage. Then I'll call Transport Canada to have it thoroughly inspected. At least, the data recorder will have the last event before shut down and it will be proof positive that an anomaly exists.

My last interview was about the reaction to NHTSA's comment that data recorders showed brakes not engaged and accelerator fully engaged. I choose to interpret that info to collaborate what the driver's reported: no matter how hard brakes were pressed, no deceleration was evident, and engine was accelerating without driver intervention. NHTSA choses to believe the machine over the people. One day, the truth will be known.