unintended acceleration & brake failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: unintended acceleration & brake failure

Originally Posted by ptung07
Lesson learned: don't use ramps to change the oil for this car, its very hard to drive up the ramp because all of a sudden the gas engine might kick in and shoot the car forward. Now I have been using the hydraulic jack ever since....
Huh, I've done four oil changes so far using Rhino ramps. Not a problem and I don't even use B. One just needs to go easy on the gas.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Michael,

I'm with you. Six oil changes and I have driven up my ramps each time. No "B" setting, no "spotter" and no problems. Another week or so will see change number 7 behind use.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:00 PM

I use a 8" long length of 2 x 8 wood to pull mine up on. A little tight for the oil pan clearance but it works. I have a gravel driveway so the ramps are out for me.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by rburt07
I use a 8" long length of 2 x 8 wood to pull mine up on. A little tight for the oil pan clearance but it works. I have a gravel driveway so the ramps are out for me.
I've used ramps on gravel before....it works but can be tricky. The Rhino ramps I have have these rubber grips and they somehow work really well on gravel, smooth cement, and pavement. I'm actually pretty surprised they work that well. I got the truck ramps (they can hold more weight).

So you only elevate the car by 2 inches? Phew, I'd never fit!

Old 02-06-2009, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
I've used ramps on gravel before....it works but can be tricky. The Rhino ramps I have have these rubber grips and they somehow work really well on gravel, smooth cement, and pavement. I'm actually pretty surprised they work that well. I got the truck ramps (they can hold more weight).

So you only elevate the car by 2 inches? Phew, I'd never fit!
I wish I had some short ramps, maybe half as tall as the standard ones that you always see for sale.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:52 PM

Dim memory, now that I think of it I stagger two 2 x 8's under each wheel. Actually its near 4" off the ground when I drive the car up on them. Still it's a little tight. I do have long arms and that helps to reach the drain plug. I do mine while working from the front of he car.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:38 PM

Installed one of those oil drain valves...it works pretty well. I am probably going to remove it and replace the gasket at my 20 or 25k change.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

One idea is that if the unintended acceleration problem occurs again, see if the dealer can tap into the event data recorder. My understanding is that this "black box" records a lot of information and it may be useful to the dealer in determining 1. what the car was doing and 2. what the driver was doing when the incident occurred.

I'm not a techie so whether this would really work or not, I don't know. I would be interested in what the rest of the forum thinks.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by LEAKYTCH
One idea is that if the unintended acceleration problem occurs again, see if the dealer can tap into the event data recorder. My understanding is that this "black box" records a lot of information and it may be useful to the dealer in determining 1. what the car was doing and 2. what the driver was doing when the incident occurred.

I'm not a techie so whether this would really work or not, I don't know. I would be interested in what the rest of the forum thinks.
I assume that Toyota Wausau and the Toyota rep from, "on high", got all that information.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:22 AM

FWIW, studies have shown that almost 100% of "accidental acceleration" cases were "foot on wrong pedal" issues. Not to blame anyone in this case, but that's the reality.

With dozens of thousands of these cars on the road and almost zero instances of this, I'd say the evidence is slim to blame the car's computers.

Quick Reply: unintended acceleration & brake failure

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands