Ugh - Squeaky Armrest

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Ugh - Squeaky Armrest

I've got the armrest click/pop going too... luckily so far it's the only noise... only 400 miles on the car and I _love_ it... much more fun to drive than the 2000 LS400 that I'm selling which the TCH replaced.

Does anyone have a known fix for the armrest click?

Old 12-06-2006, 10:31 PM
Recent Hybrid convert

Originally Posted by Gary Yost
I've got the armrest click/pop going too... luckily so far it's the only noise... only 400 miles on the car [...]
Oops, there goes my idea about KY (vs. JPN) cars potentially not having the same armrest problem...

Anybody out there with a KY-built car experiencing the console squeaking? If so, that would answer my 2nd question as well (ref. post #10)...

Old 12-10-2006, 01:22 PM
Enthusiast

I had my armrest replaced.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by selia
I had my armrest replaced.
Did this solve the problem?

Old 12-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

I put the little felt pads on the base where the rubber things touch down on when closed - it makes it so you have to press down or close it hard to get it to latch - but so far no more squeaks.....

Old 12-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Enthusiast

Yes,

The replacement solved the problem for now. Once I start leaning on it again or my passengers lean on it-I am sure it will start squeaking again. I will just keep bringing it back for replacement until the warranty runs out. Then I will try the felt pads.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:37 PM
Electricity Guzzler

I was at the dealer. My armrest creaks in cold weather. I noticed that they are now only getting the Kentucky TCH's now. The dealer tells me that Kentucky is serving all of North America now and no more Japanese TCH's are coming in. Mine came from Japan. I checked the armrest on their American Floor model. It had 2 little black pieces of felt tape on it where the hook (detent) is. My car didn't have that. I got the dealer two put some on mine. I will see if it makes a difference when the weather gets colder. It's interesting to see that they are dealing with this at the plant though. (obviously based on feedback from the original design flaw)

Old 01-05-2007, 04:34 PM
Enthusiast

fullofbeans,

Thank you for the info on the armrest. Mine is still tight and quiet. I will check out the floor models next time I go to the dealer. My TCH was made in Japan.

BTW, during my recent 7500 mile service, I continued to complain about the center console (cricket) squeaking and the passenger dash rattle that many of us seem to have. I was told that Toyota support acknowledged the problem and that Toyota TSBs to address both issues will be coming out in either January or February. I will believe it when I see it. I will let you know if I hear anything.

Also, the cooler weather is pulling down my mpg- same for you?