Turning Off Seat Belt Warning (One when moving)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Turning Off Seat Belt Warning (One when moving)

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
The funny thing is, the focus is so heavy on a PERSON wearing a seatbelt. So far, most people who have asked about this came from a stance that ITEMS do not need to wear a seatbelt. This is my stance. This is why I turned it off. I don't need to hear the alarm for 45 seconds when I stop - go - stop at many different places doing deliveries where the items are on my front seat.

Of course, I could be lying to save face in the eye of such scrutiny, but I fear if I am not believed that might just end up being between God and myself.

There are two issues.

1. A person wearing the seatbelt.
2. An item wearing the seatbelt.

In the first case, honestly, YOU should be accountable for your own safety. IF you need an alarm to help -- go for it -- have an alarm. IF you don't need an alarm -- go for it -- don't have an alarm.

I am just amazed as how something this trivial to each individual post writer (concerning the activity of another) continuously becomes such a heated topic.

Just odd.
Mikieboyblue, I agree with you....and I DON'T need the alarm, always wear my belt, as does everyone in my car, and I rarely, if ever that I can remember, have anything in the seat heavy enough to set off the alarm. Thats what trunks are for. Perhaps if I did, I would consider turning it off for the passanger seat.....but...it is there, and it is annoying...as it is supposed to. However, the manufacturer DID provide a way for the owners to have the alarm disabled. I say "go for it" (as in TURN IT OFF) ..... to anyone who feels strongly that it is unneeded, or unwanted.

Regarding the trivialness you mentioned...I truely believe we care strongly about each other here on this forum, and those who believe seat belts save lives....well, let's just say, none of us wants to be missing anyone here.

EDIT: FWIW, I didn't even know there was a seat belt alarm for at least a year of ownership. I pulled up to a drive in window at a fast food place, needed to get in my wallet..so off came the belt...then I decided to go inside to eat, instead...so...maybe 40 feet to a parking space, without my belt, and the alarm went off...

Respectfully,

Jeff

Last edited by jbollt; 03-26-2008 at 07:16 PM. Reason: added FWIW
Old 03-26-2008, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by jbollt
Mikieboyblue, I agree with you....and I DON'T need the alarm, always wear my belt, as does everyone in my car, and I rarely, if ever that I can remember, have anything in the seat heavy enough to set off the alarm. Thats what trunks are for. Perhaps if I did, I would consider turning it off for the passanger seat.....but...it is there, and it is annoying...as it is supposed to. However, the manufacturer DID provide a way for the owners to have the alarm disabled. I say "go for it" (as in TURN IT OFF) ..... to anyone who feels strongly that it is unneeded, or unwanted.

Regarding the trivialness you mentioned...I truely believe we care strongly about each other here on this forum, and those who believe seat belts save lives....well, let's just say, none of us wants to be missing anyone here.

EDIT: FWIW, I didn't even know there was a seat belt alarm for at least a year of ownership. I pulled up to a drive in window at a fast food place, needed to get in my wallet..so off came the belt...then I decided to go inside to eat, instead...so...maybe 40 feet to a parking space, without my belt, and the alarm went off...

Respectfully,

Jeff
Hey Jeff, call me Mike (saves some typing )

Yeah. By all means, I do not wish to imply we do not care about humanity or the many (many many) good people on this forum.

It is the belaboring of the issue this is odd to me. It just goes back and fourth....to and fro...I only say this because this same type of discussion has come up quite a few times before

You'll have to watch out for those drive throughs!

Just interesting.

So, to everyone: live well, be safe, have fun, stay in touch, and live with no regrets

.....AND......keep driving those super sexy hybrids!

I my Midnight.

Clearly I need more sleep!

Old 03-26-2008, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Hey Jeff, call me Mike (saves some typing )....
Hey Mike: I just didn't want to confuse who I was addressing, as "raven77" is also Mike.

Get some Sleep

Jeff

Old 03-27-2008, 06:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Actually, I've thought about it....and I think I will flip-flop. The reminder is annoying. I as on a call yesterday in a parking lot, and need to reach a paper that had fallen on the passenger. Remove seat belt, retrieve it. Then I had to crusie (slowly) over the other side of the parking lot (very few cars, very open) to see if I could locate the person I was going to pick up. DING DING DING.

Annoying to me and the people in the call. I guess i could've muted.

I'm always wearing the seatbelt at higher speeds, but at low speeds (<10), it is a pain. And this scenario happens to me a lot.

I think I will have dealer switch the setting.

I therefore eat my humble pie after lecturing to raven and others.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:36 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by mikecism
My advice to this guy is if he wants to drive without his seatbelt, just get a belt clip and leave if snapped in all the time. And stock up on healthcare insurance.
I think my healthcare dollars shouldn't be spent patching up people who don't wear seatbelts if the injury would have been prevented but them wearing one.
If you don't wear a belt and are injured, your repairs should be on your nickle not the hearthcare insurance system's.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
I think my healthcare dollars shouldn't be spent patching up people who don't wear seatbelts if the injury would have been prevented but them wearing one.
If you don't wear a belt and are injured, your repairs should be on your nickle not the hearthcare insurance system's.
Your healthcare dollars don't pay for my injuries. I am insured and have healthcare coverage. And I pay a pretty penny for it (thousands and thousands a year).

WE pay for the unisured and fiscally irresponsbile folks. I agree with your ire at that.

For better or worse, we treat people first, and worry about money and blame later.

Unfortunately, no one in this world like to take responsiblity for their actions.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:46 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

My premiums certainly are determined by the cost of claims an not just my claims. Your injury and claim costs affect MY premiums (and everyone elses). If you choose to be at risk intentionally and are injured I shouldn't have to subsidise your poor judgement.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by mikecism
...Unfortunately, no one in this world like to take responsiblity for their actions.
You wouldn't be referring to the guy who bought a $700,000 house on his $30,000 salary with a no money down, no income verification adjustable rate mortgage and wanted to blame his banker for the fact that he can't afford his obligation, would you?

Old 03-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by haroldo
You wouldn't be referring to the guy who bought a $700,000 house on his $30,000 salary with a no money down, no income verification adjustable rate mortgage and wanted to blame his banker for the fact that he can't afford his obligation, would you?
Or the woman who put a hot cup of coffee in her crotch ...

Old 03-27-2008, 09:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
Yep, that guy, and every other fool that live beyond thier means. Blame the "evil bank".

And those banks, etc., getting bailed out because they can't take responsibility for their poor investment decisions

Cry me an effin' river while I (and other taxpayers) work longer to pay more taxes to bail people and businesses out. Being responsible sucks...where's my turn at the trough? ;-)

Quick Reply: Turning Off Seat Belt Warning (One when moving)

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands