Toyota issue safety recalls

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:06 AM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: Toyota issue safety recalls

I am also guilty of having both the regular and all weather rubber mats in both my Camry and Sienna. I've always known this was wrong as the mats' packaging clearly warn against doing so. I've found the rubber mats to be "just" soft enough to get them to squeeze overtop the mat hooks so I've never had a problem. I decided to keep the regular mats underneath because the black rubber mats will slightly discolor what's underneath, so I decided slightly discolored regular mats are better than slightly discolored carpeting.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Droid13
I am also guilty of having both the regular and all weather rubber mats in both my Camry and Sienna. I've always known this was wrong as the mats' packaging clearly warn against doing so. I've found the rubber mats to be "just" soft enough to get them to squeeze overtop the mat hooks so I've never had a problem. I decided to keep the regular mats underneath because the black rubber mats will slightly discolor what's underneath, so I decided slightly discolored regular mats are better than slightly discolored carpeting.
Why do you say it will discolor the carpet?

Old 09-27-2007, 09:42 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Why do you say it will discolor the carpet?
My Camry came with both mats already fitted. After a couple months I was going to remove the regular mats because I knew you weren't suppose to have both down at once. I lifted the rubber mat and said "S&%t, it discolored my mats". The grey mats now have a slight yellow tinge. It's not terrible, it's uniform so doesn't stand out, but I have left it as is ever since to avoid the same thing happening to the carpet.

Probably the likelyhood of this occuring will decrease as the rubber mats age.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

odd... my all-weather mats left black marks on the original carpet when I decided to run without the carpet mats for while. Now I leave the carpet mats in.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:54 PM

jeez, I am going to have to check this out. I do not see why they should stain anything. What is leaching out of them?? That is what scares me.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:44 PM

dunno... I suspect it's just rubber against the vinyl bit?

Old 03-20-2008, 07:43 AM
SPL

According to my Service Manager, there has been no safety recall of the all-weather rubber mats in Canada. The recall was likely forced by the NHTSA and legal considerations in the USA, and Toyota Canada didn't feel obligated to do likewise. This is really a user-error issue, and not a defective mat design per se, in my opinion. It must take great skill to actually get the rubber mat to slide so that it's on top of the accelerator pedal!

Stan

Old 03-20-2008, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by SPL
According to my Service Manager, there has been no safety recall of the all-weather rubber mats in Canada. The recall was likely forced by the NHTSA and legal considerations in the USA, and Toyota Canada didn't feel obligated to do likewise. This is really a user-error issue, and not a defective mat design per se, in my opinion. It must take great skill to actually get the rubber mat to slide so that it's on top of the accelerator pedal!

Stan
I agree that this is a user-error issue. I have not replaced mine and I have not had a problem in 11k miles.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:40 AM

Yep.. definitely a user-error but you those kind of people. It's never their fault. It's always someone else's.

But note that the Canadian all-weather mats are of a slightly different design than that of the US.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
But note that the Canadian all-weather mats are of a slightly different design than that of the US.
You would think it would make economical manufacturing sense to make them the same!

Quick Reply: Toyota issue safety recalls

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands