Toyota iPod interface

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Toyota iPod interface

Well I called the local dealer and they just happen to have the kit in stock. I decided to bite the bullet and have it installed. For anyone considering this addition DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. I am very disappointed. If I could get my money back I would. I will probably plug the iPod back in to the aux input.

There are two major issues for me. One is when you are searching by artist, album or whatever, the artist name displays at the top of the nav screen in a single line and you can only go through one line at a time. I have hundreds of artist on my iPod and I have to scroll through one at a time. It takes forever to scroll to an artist in the middle or towards the end of the alphabet. Also, you can't scroll backward through Z and Y if you want to get to the letter T quicker. You have to scroll all the way from A to T in order to get to T.

The other issues is once you get to the artist you can't choose a specific album within that artist. You have to scroll through each individual song to get to the song you are looking for...the screen also doesn't show the album title anywhere. It will only so you the artist name and the name of the song. I have several artist with 10 plus albums which amount to 100+ songs.

What a waste of money

Old 02-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question Re: Toyota iPod interface

Originally Posted by tnsig
Well I called the local dealer and they just happen to have the kit in stock. I decided to bite the bullet and have it installed. For anyone considering this addition DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. I am very disappointed. If I could get my money back I would. I will probably plug the iPod back in to the aux input.

Two questions:

1. How well does it work with Nav?
2. Can you describe how scrolling through playlists works?

Last edited by H2O Doctor; 02-06-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by H2O Doctor
Two questions:

1. How well does it work with Nav?
2. Can you describe how scrolling through playlists works?
I'm not that impressed with the interface through the navigation. You access the iPod through the satellite mode (I believe you will lose satellite capability). When you go into satellite mode there are six presets showing. Preset 1 allows you to search by play list. Preset 2 allows you to search by artist. Preset 3 allows you to search by album and so on. Once you select how you want to search then you can scroll through your list. Up at the top of the navigation screen there is only one row of text that you use to scroll through your list. You can only view one artist/album/play list at a time AND not all the characters show.

To scroll through the play lists you just use the tune **** (the **** you would use to tune radio stations and such). You can also use the up and down arrow on your steering wheel. It's a slow process especially if you have a lot of music.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast

Hello,
What do you guys think about this product? Does any of you have any experience with that brand?
http://gromaudio.com/store/usb_adapt...-usb2-toy.html
I read very positive reviews on their iPod adapters, so I am thinking to get one to give it a try.
Also - where should I go to install this adapter to my car? I have 2006 Prius.
Thank you for your help.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tnsig
You access the iPod through the satellite mode (I believe you will lose satellite capability).
For what it's worth, you don't lose satellite capability. You can switch between them, though I've noticed it tends to switch from satellite to iPod on it's own.

I agree, it's not the best interface I've seen, though it works fine for me. Like most interfaces, it helps to change the way you organize your iPod. If you have 10,000 songs, you're going to go insane.
The only thing that does bother me is it really doesn't display text (like song name) well. You can get it pressing the "TEXT" button, but that's not especially convienient. I think that might be more of a problem with the way the nav is built though.

Cheers!

Dang

Old 06-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Enthusiast

I just ordered one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011UK2HE

Looks like it should work pretty well.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Enthusiast

Hello people,

I have this adapter installed in my TCH for more than a year now and it works with no problems, it even displays the playlists in the HU screen, you can select the music by song, artist, playlist or shuffle it.

http://www.diceelectronics.com/Merch...CE_IPOD_TOYOTA

hope this helps!!!

Old 06-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pr39th
Hello people,

I have this adapter installed in my TCH for more than a year now and it works with no problems, it even displays the playlists in the HU screen, you can select the music by song, artist, playlist or shuffle it.

http://www.diceelectronics.com/Merch...CE_IPOD_TOYOTA

hope this helps!!!
\

Do you have the factory XM Radio?

Old 06-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wiredup
\

Do you have the factory XM Radio?
No I don't, I read that depending on the settings you could loose the Sat ability, but the connector for the adapter have a "Y" connection to connect the Sat, but I cant tell you if it will work, but I recommend you to write to their tech support and they can confirm you if it works with the XM sat.

At least I can tell you how it performs and it does it very well

Old 06-11-2009, 07:08 AM
Slightly green!

I have installed the Toyota iPod kit in my 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid with Navigation.

The installation is not too hard - I used the instructions that Crutchfield sent with my original Scosch iPod controller.

Pros:
  • Steering wheel controls
  • Podcasts can be selected
  • Selection by Album, playlist works

Cons:
  • Cannot reliably select music by Artist
  • Title of the music only shows, truncated, after a slight pause

However, for some reason, this Toyota branded iPod controller does not reliably allow for selection of a song by Artist name. This sometimes will work - however, it normally only allows for the current artist to be selected - the work around is to use playlists or select by Album name.

I did have the Scosche iPod adapter installed - this claims to allow for an AUX input, which did not work with my TCH/nav, also, the Scosche product did not have a Podcast selection mode, nor did the steering wheel controls work.

Summary:
It could be the version of the NAV DVD (and therefore the firmware version of the radio) that is affecting the Artist select mode - I have version 7 DVD. Other than that, the steering wheel controls, and podcast selection was a good change from the Scosch product.

Hope this helps,

Andy

Quick Reply: Toyota iPod interface

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands