Toyota iPod Integration Kit??

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 07:38 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Toyota iPod Integration Kit??

I've had no issues. There is a box a little bigger than a pack of cards that sits between the head unit and the Ipod. I put mine in the compartment in the center dash stack under the headunit along with the ipod. There is also space behind the head unit but I recommend keeping it more accessible as there are some DIP switches on it you might want access to. My original box would not display the MP3 tag text on the headunit so I emailed DICE and they advance shipped me a new one no questions asked. Now the text works fine. All in all I highly recommend this device.

FWIW -- in the Prius I put the box in the upper glovebox and routed the Ipod connection wire back behind the radio and into the little storage compartment under the stereo. It was technically big enough for the box and the ipod but would have been very tight. The ipod alone works great there.

I did the install in both cars myself. It just took common sense and patience. Getting to the headunit in the TCH was easier than the Prius. Getting the head out in the TCH was harder and required 10mm socket with 6" or more extension.

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
But wasn't there some kind of downside to the DICE? For some reason I thought something did not work right or there was something on your dash.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Enthusiast

I wouldn't suppose you could produce a video of how the dice unit works, could you? Or maybe just some pictures of the different menus / options available? I'm still within my 30 days to return the scosche one.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wavern
I wouldn't suppose you could produce a video of how the dice unit works, could you? Or maybe just some pictures of the different menus / options available? I'm still within my 30 days to return the scosche one.
I just realized I am probably a moron. My car does not have NAV so the menus/etc. don't apply. I will try to look at the screens on the Prius tonight (which also doesn't have NAV but still has the audio menu screen).

Old 02-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Enthusiast

Has anyone used/heard about http://www.isimplesolutions.com/prodDetail.asp?strID=12 ?

I saw it at Best Buy and I was wondering if it was worth getting. I've seen recommendations for the DICE but I haven't been able to find it retail and I don't want to deal with direct return if it doesn't work.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Enthusiast

Here are two kits that claim steering wheel controls will work:

http://www.icarkits.com/advanced_sea...icle=1&sort=4d

Old 03-12-2008, 08:28 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Here is a link for a device that is considered an OEM device. I found it through the company that bwilson bought his Dice unit from. I am reading all of the info\instructions for it and it looks good. Pricey but good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...8765QQtcZphoto

Old 04-27-2008, 04:53 AM
Enthusiast

I installed an Ipod integration unit made by Peripheral Electronics. I have a 2009 TCH with Sirius satellite. It is also distributed under ISimple. AutoToys sells it for 163. delivered.
A couple of tips:
Removal of the center console and dash was easy, based on instructions from other threads on this website.
Before removing the radio, re-install the shift **** which will act as a padded stand to hold your radio unit while you attach the cables.
I put blue painters tape around the front of the radio to protect the wood grain finish I had installed by the dealer.
Remove the satellite cable from the back, it is near the center, install the supplied 'Y' cable that comes with the unit. On the PE unit leave the dip switches in the up position.
Make sure the cable that plugs into the PE unit is pushed in ALL the way, lost an hour trying to figure out why it wasn't being recognized by the tuner.
I placed the PE unit underneath the cubby unit and ran the Ipod cable through the console and just slipped it under the side by the driver's seat.
Attached the Ipod cable and powered up the tuner.
Once engaged, it is a good idea to go back to the Operator Manual and follow the instructions carefully - lost another 1/2 hour trying to wing it.
When the radio powers on, press the AM/SAT button back to AM.
Now press it back to SAT
You will see in tiny text 'Aux1' This is NOT the Ipod. Rotate the tuner **** on the right unti you see 'Ipod' on the display. You are now in Ipod mode. Each mode flashes for about 5 seconds before it locks.
Rest of the instructions are fairly straight forward.
To get back to satellite, press the AM/SAT button back to AM
Now press the AM/SAT button once to SAT
You're back at the tiny text with 'Ipod', rotate the tuner **** until 'Sat' is displayed, wait for it to lock, and your satellite is now engaged.
Overall integration works well, you can select playlist, albums, artist etc, steering controls just do a simple last track / next track.
It does not appear I have to do anything with the Ipod after I turn off the radio, it goes automatically into charge mode, then, goes to sleep.

Last edited by jeffgl21; 04-27-2008 at 04:56 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Do you have a URL for the item you installed? How well does it handle playlists? How many songs does it support for each play list? Any other comments on this item once you started using it?

Old 04-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeffgl21
Before removing the radio, re-install the shift **** which will act as a padded stand to hold your radio unit while you attach the cables.
Ya know, sometimes I read these postings and wonder why the heck I didn't think of that. There is a real danger of scratching the face of the radio with the (now exposed) shift lever when installing. I've used a cloth sometimes, but have never thought of just putting the shift lever back on. Good one!

Also interested what model you got. Their website is confusing to say the least.

They have no fewer than 4 different iPod interfaces, but most don't look look they will work.

Their PXDP2 specifically says:
Not compatible with factory satellite. If satellite is installed, it must be disconnected.

Interestingly it also says:
Not compatible with Hybrid vehicles.
...so I assume it's not that one.

Their ISAS71 also says its:
"All Makes: Not compatible with any factory external audio source such as: XM tuner, CD changer, or Cassette player. These devices must be disconnected during the installation and will no longer function."

Their PXDP says:
Not compatible with Hybrid vehicles.

That leaves the PXAMG. This unit appears to be both an iPod adapter and HD radio adapter.
They say: Not compatible in Lexus vehicles equipped with a factory navigation style radio with factory satellite installed.
and:
Not compatible in the Toyota Prius with factory satellite installed.
but don't mention the Camry or hybrids.

Is the PXAMG the one you have? Also, you mention you have Sirius. I thought Toyota only had XM. Is the Siruis factory or after market?

Thanks!

Dang

Old 04-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Enthusiast

Autotoys.com is where I bought the PE. Yes, I have the PXAMG. The actual SKU is
PGHTY1 PXAMG TOYOTA* PERIPHERAL PXAMG + HDRT HD RADIO AND IPOD CONTROL MULTIMEDIA GATEWAY PGHTY1 (TOYOTA VERSION) #10375 Options:HDRT: Do not add HDRT tuner

It includes both the module and the toyota cable which is the PGHTY1 part number. You are correct, on some toyotas it will cause you to disable the satellite, not so with the TCH. Also, it was the only unit that would also not disable a rear DVD player, if I decide to add one down the road. Many of the other units either disable the satellite or the DVD. I can't tell how many songs it will allow on a playlist The one I usually use has 250 songs. It will also allow you to choose by Artist, Album, Genre, same selections as the Ipod. I did notice that if you choose anything other than Playlist - the steering wheel controls doesn't work, but since I use playlist, it is not an issue for me. In fact, I just tucked away the Ipod away in the center console. I drilled a small hole from the PE module through the plastic housing in the center console and stashed it. Figured there was no need to use it anymore. Either it will re-charge or just go to sleep. Nice thing, when you restart the car, it picks up just where it left off. Can't suggest strongly enough to re-read the operator manual, the answers are there, but it takes a few reads. Once you understand what it's doing, it becomes more intuitive.
In North Jersey they do offer Sirius as a dealer installed option. They install it under the front seat of the car. If I knew then how easy it was to remove the radio, I would have done that myself as well. They also installed an internal antenna, mounted on the top of the passenger windshield. It is made by Sirius. They call it Sigma. Ugly. Not Recommended. Way too many drop offs. I may replace it with a roof/trunk mount. Otherwise it works fine.

Last edited by jeffgl21; 04-27-2008 at 03:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Toyota iPod Integration Kit??

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands