Tire Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 12:32 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Tire Wrench

Has anyone noticed that their tire wrench does not fit properly? I had to use mine today for the first time. On the very first lug nut, it felt a bit loose, but I did not pay too much attention to it. Then when I pulled off the wrech, I saw the damage it did to my alloy wheels! I ended up using a cloth to wrap the wrench with for the remaining lug nuts.

I'm going to see my dealer on a better fitting wrench and wanted to see if anyone else's wrench fits loosley.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:32 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tire Wrench

I used mine when I removed my rear wheels to install my rear mudflaps - seemed to fit quite well and I didn't notice any damage to the lug nuts or the wheel.

Did the wrench rub on the wheel or did it slip that you have wheel damage?

Scott

Old 09-07-2007, 08:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

The wrench never slipped, as I loosened the nut, the wrench rubbed against the alloy wheel leaving a rather large scratch in it. Not sure what the dealer can or will do. Might end up goint toa local automotive store to buy a proper fitting wrench.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cast_and_blast
I used mine when I removed my rear wheels to install my rear mudflaps - seemed to fit quite well and I didn't notice any damage to the lug nuts or the wheel.

Did the wrench rub on the wheel or did it slip that you have wheel damage?

Scott
Another one that thought they had to remove wheels to install the flaps!! ROTFFLMAO!

Old 09-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just rotated my tires using the included wrench last weekend (which means A LOT of wrench usage). Everything went fine. But... on my 2005 Camry, I tried the same procedure last year and had the same problem you did. It turns out that I hadn't put the wrench on the lug nut perfectly straight which created a lot of slack when pushed hard. You have to be very careful about making sure the wrench is fully and squarely over the lug nut. Of course, it is entirely possible that your wrench has a defect.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skywagon
Another one that thought they had to remove wheels to install the flaps!! ROTFFLMAO!

No, I chose to. I prefer to be able to see my work; by removing the rear wheel it makes it very, very easy to work on. Takes 2 minutes to take off the wheel - what's the big deal?

Scott

Old 09-07-2007, 09:38 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cast_and_blast
No, I chose to. I prefer to be able to see my work; by removing the rear wheel it makes it very, very easy to work on. Takes 2 minutes to take off the wheel - what's the big deal?

Scott
MN lugwrench (pair of pliers) lol