Tip...use your cell phone's camera or video to capture oddities

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 05:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Tip...use your cell phone's camera or video to capture oddities

We've all had things occur with these cars (and all modern ones, for that matter) that need to be checked out. Typically, these are rare occurrences that might be difficult to recreate for the dealer. In extreme situations, you will be faced with "your word versus the dealers"...and you know how that will end up.
Most modern phones, especially smart phones, have very good video capability. I'd recommend recording the event to have as your proof.
I had a minor situation, the radio display was messed up. Had I told the dealer this without proof, he might have laughed it off or told me to come back if it occurs again. I had a photo on my Treo and he quickly wrote me up for a new one.
Now this is a relatively minor item, but what if it wasn't?
My parents had 'unintended acceleration' (please don't reply that it was my father's fault...that he forgot his meds or he got confused which pedal was which) on his 07 Honda Accord. This recurred on three or four occasions, but the dealer couldn't recreate it, so they ended up trading it in for a new car.
Had they had a video of it, I think the result might have been different. Now, if your sitting in your car and the engine is red lining, the last thing you're going to think of is setting up a video, but if one has the time and it's safe to do so, it might be a valuable piece of evidence to have.

Good idea?

Old 08-29-2009, 08:10 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tip...use your cell phone's camera or video to capture oddities

The ubiquity of cell phone cameras have made lots of things like that 'better' if you have your wits about you. Taking the pictures if involved in and accident has been a recommended process - makes litigation easier to pursue/defend. And certainly, if you can 'u-tube' mechanical tantrums, so much the better.

Just make sure you're stopped when attempting to launch the recording session.