For those in the midwest and northeast. How bad is you milage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: For those in the midwest and northeast. How bad is you milage?

To expand on that further, try getting your engine warm to the level that it normally runs at. Then, turn it off and on again. Now, you can start a new trip with an already warm engine and look at the reading at the end of the trip.

Originally Posted by SPL
lizprius2006 — The colder weather has a very considerable effect on fuel consumption. This applies, of course, to all internal combustion gasoline engine vehicles, not just hybrids. I don't know whether this is what's causing your current bad fuel economy (FE) numbers, but before you conclude that there's something wrong with your Prius, I suggest that you conduct an experiment. Take a decent return trip of say at least 50 miles each way. Have the vehicle warmed up before you start. Look at your trip's FE figure. If it's closer to what you were getting before (it won't be quite as good because of the colder air temperatures), I'd conclude that there's nothing wrong. If not, perhaps you do indeed have a problem.

Stan

Old 02-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default For those in the midwest and northeast. How bad is you milage?

Just drove 600+ miles today through NJ and upstate NY. Doing probably 76mph with cruise control and warm engine, averaged only 32 mpg.

Tires inflated at 34 psi , no snow on the ground or on my car, two passengers without too much cargo. Outside temperature was probably between 20-35 degrees.

Does this sound like crappy mileage or is it just me? I know it's cold, but these figures are with an already warm engine. When it was warmer, I was able to get 37 mpg on highway.

Old 02-17-2007, 02:12 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: For those in the midwest and northeast. How bad is you milage?

TCHduped — I think 76 mph is a bit too fast for good FE, summer or winter! Your 32 mpg equates to ~7.4 L/100 km, and that is comparable to what I'm getting at 120 km/h speeds on the highway in this cold weather.

Stan

Old 02-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: For those in the midwest and northeast. How bad is you milage?

Originally Posted by TCHduped
Just drove 600+ miles today through NJ and upstate NY. Doing probably 76mph with cruise control and warm engine, averaged only 32 mpg.

Tires inflated at 34 psi , no snow on the ground or on my car, two passengers without too much cargo.
A lot of factors go into FE. Weight is one of them. Most of my trips are to work when I drive alone. There is a noticeable decrease when I have a passenger or two.

Speed is another factor. If you are concerned about FE, drop your speed down to 70 mph. It makes a big difference.

I would also recommend a higher tire pressure. I have Michelins and run them at 40 psig.

Can't do anything about the temperature, except use ECO setting on your heater.