Starter Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 09:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default Starter Problem

Had my first problem with the TCH yesterday. After a 45 minute drive I pulled into a store and the car wouldn't lock. I figured that perhaps it was still running or I turned it off in something other than park. So I climb back in and the car wouldn't start - the no key detected light came on. My wife tried to start it with her fob and had the same result.

After looking through the manual, I read that you could start it by having the fob next to the start button - well, after several tries it worked. I drove around the parking lot hoping somethig miraculous would happen and the problem would go away - it didn't. After I stopped it wouldn't lock or restart. After several tries with the fob it started. I drove to our local Totota dealer to see if he could give me a quick fix - naturally, the car started every time! This morning the car started as usual.

I'm taking it in this morning to the dealer to see what the deal is. Has anyone experienced a situation like this?

Old 01-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Starter Problem

My theory is pretty weak.

The fob is an RFID system similar to that used in material management. Does that store use RFID tags for inventory and theft prevention? If so, maybe they have a transmitter on an adjacent signal and it's interfering with your fob.

You might try for the next week going everywhere but that store and if it doesn't happen again, go back and see if it repeats. Either way, let us know what happens!

Just my $0.02

Larry

Old 01-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Enthusiast

The dealer called and pretty much said what you said. Evidently, there have been instances where this occurs - even near power lines. Thanks for the advice, your $.02 seems to worth more than you gave yourself credit for...

Old 01-23-2007, 08:52 AM
Enthusiast

The dealer received a fax from Toyota, which stated that they are aware of the problem - though it is a pretty rare event. They also said that they have heard of several starting problems with TCH parked near or at Mobile service stations. Mine was near a Costco for whatever it's worth.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Very interesting...so essentially the only solution is putting the back of the fob up to the "start" button and starting the car?

Old 01-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, but the "Toyota" logo must face the "start" button.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:42 PM

Right...I left that part out.

Let's hope this isn't a common occurrence.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

I find it very interesting that it is Mobil stations with the RFID driven SpeedPass on the pumps!

Daggum! Who woulda' thunk it, Vern?

Old 01-24-2007, 03:39 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Bigsk8r
...The fob is an RFID system similar to that used in material management. ...
I would concurr when used as the "keyfob up against the power button" but normally it's more of an active system. Notice that LED blinking on the FOB when you get close to your car? Also the FOB knows which cars to respond to and RFID will respond to all interrogations. I have a TCH and a conventional '07 Camry XLE both with smart start. The FOB or the TCH does not blink when near the XLE and the XLE's FOB(s)s do not blink when near the TCH. There is more than RFID built into those little suckers. Maybe the car tells the FOB when to blink?

Old 01-24-2007, 04:58 AM

I wonder if there has been any reported problems similar to this with the Prius or any other car that uses a push start system (Nissan, Infiniti etc...)?

Quick Reply: Starter Problem

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands