Speedometer/Leather Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Speedometer/Leather Questions

I have Port/Distributor leather form SE Toyota and I find it to be crap, I have heard good things about Katskin aftermarket leather and wish i had gone that route. The LiquiCell junk the port uses is loose and low grade leather.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:40 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kluken
I have Port/Distributor leather form SE Toyota and I find it to be crap, I have heard good things about Katskin aftermarket leather and wish i had gone that route. The LiquiCell junk the port uses is loose and low grade leather.
I'm having Katshin leather installed tomorrow. The shop (not the dealer)called me today to inform me the kit was in. Asked me to come to the in to look it over. I was very impressed with the quality. Can't wait to see it installed. Will let everyone know how it turns out. PS: The Katskin replacement seat covers for the Camry are 100% leather, not just leather seating surfaces. Toyota factory leather is a combination of leather and vinyl.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:27 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by jasaulsbury
Toyota factory leather is a combination of leather and vinyl.
Would of fooled me. Where is there vinyl? The factory installed leather also includes an electrically controlled passenger seat albeit only 4 way and the seats are heated.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:06 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Would of fooled me. Where is there vinyl? The factory installed leather also includes an electrically controlled passenger seat albeit only 4 way and the seats are heated.
The factory leather on the 07 Camrys (as is true for most cars equiped with leather) have leather seating surfaces only. The sides and back of the seats are vinyl. Hard to tell, but true.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:24 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TKCamry
The odometer is off by 5% as well. Not surprising, since the odometer and speedometer run off the same sensor.
The odometer is an anolog representation of a digital reading. Therefore it can be different. My speedometer readys about 5% higher than actual speed by GPS, but comparing ODO to mile markers, the ODO reading is very close to actual distance travelled, far closer than 5%, and might actually be reading lower than actual miles travelled.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:28 PM
WVGasGuy

My speedometer readys about 5% higher than actual speed by GPS, but comparing ODO to mile markers, the ODO reading is very close to actual distance travelled, far closer than 5%, and might actually be reading lower than actual miles travelled.

I checked against I79 mile markers and I was loosing better than 5% checking my odo to mile markers. I didn't put much faith in the markers though and I think only by comparing over say 50 miles would I trust the numbers. I may try that next trip.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Enthusiast

My speedometer seems to be off about the same, reading about 3mph slower. I don't think this is surprising. My BMW read consistently 5mph slower at highway speeds. My understanding is the German government requires manufacturers to make sure speedometers do not measure too high, so for legal reasons the manufacturers err on the side of making them read slightly slow to account for slight variations from car to car. Not sure what requirements US law dictates.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Back from a trip from Tucson to San Diego. I did a mile marker check over 20 miles, and the odometer was off (reading low) by 3/10 in 20 miles. Thats 1.5%. So, at the end of an indicated 36,000 miles (b2b warranty) I will have actually received an extra 540 miles of warranty coverage. lol

As I stated earlier, it seems that my speedometer is off by 3mph (reading high)..when I see an indicated 40, the roadside radar trailer set up by local police indcates 37. I am not happy about this speedometer reading low by 3mph, but doubt there is any easy fix. I also wonder if my previous Toyotas were also off by this same amount. I may have to take my (previous driver and now my wife's) ICE 05 Highlander out for a spin by the radar one of these days.

BTW, I averaged 39.6mpg going westbound, which includes elevation changes from 2800 ft, to (minus)-200 feet to around 5,000 feet and back to sea level. Average speed 75-80mph, A/C on constant, but this info is for another thread.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:52 AM
WVGasGuy

I guess if they are off in that direction you need "shorter" tires to make the correction. For some reason I can't see this car with 50 series tires on 16" wheels or 40 series tires on 17" wheels. Sure would be good if indeed an electronic correction could be made.