So how can I avoid paying the market upcharge

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: So how can I avoid paying the market upcharge

1) Try a reputible auto broker...they always seem to be able to cut through the mark ups.

2) Or, do what I did for my track car. Contact a dealer where Hybrids just don't sell very well. Usually out of the way towns and rural places where the tech's just don't know much about the cars. Talk with the Sales Manager and tell him you want to order a car from him and you will pay $100 over invoice. All he has to do is order the car and ship it to the dealership you tell him to. When he agrees, find a Toyota dealer that will accept delivery of the car and will do the prep for you (this is usually $250). Once you get the dealer code, order the car and have it shipped to your dealership of choice.

You see, the dealership has an allocation of cars and if they don't sell the car, they have to floor the car until it is sold or they loose the allocation for the next year. So for doing nothing more than ordering the car, the dealer makes $100, plus he gets 100% of the holdback money on the car...all for doing about 30 min worth of paperwork. He never see's the car or has to inventory it. It is a question of cash management so you may have to work with the dealer and show them how it makes sense for them.