Silence the trac battery vent

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Silence the trac battery vent

Originally Posted by Mystifier
I just installed a subwoofer in my car and that vent cover is definitely the source of the rattle I have been hunting down during heavy bass notes. I just tried to remove it but I could not figure out how to get the rear tabs out without breaking them. If you figure out how to get that cover off without destroying it please let us know. I have some spare Dynamat laying around that is just itching to adhere itself to the underside of that cover.
Yes, that's my problem. Those darn clips! If I break them all I might just use double sided automotive tape of velcro to reattach it. I will know soon and will post back the results.

On a side note, I have 12 inch pioneer and a 800w amp sitting in my closest I am trying to sell. I just can't lose the trunk space because I often need it but I might just install it all anyhow an remove it if needed. I don't know....I am very surprised with the bass output of the stock equipment...I will probably sell it. I have an old head unit too....all that stuff and nowhere to put it.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
..., I have 12 inch pioneer and a 800w amp sitting in my closest I am trying to sell...all that stuff and nowhere to put it.
try putting it on eBay

Old 04-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Enthusiast

I also have been looking into the vibration of the rear panel. One rattle I noticed is coming from the child restraint anchor cover. When the bass is heavy the flip-up latch vibrates quite a lot. This was an easy fix, I just cut a small square of high-density foam and stuck it underneath the cover. This created enough of a resistance to keep the cover from rattling but not pop it right up.

The other vibration is of course the battery vent itself. The whole thing vibrates like crazy with a lot of bass. When I put my hand on top of it, it is instantly silenced, that would lead me to think that some Dynamat may work to dampen the vibration.

Looking through the service manual it looks like the vent itself doesn't come off from the top, hence the broken clips you are experiencing. According the the manual the "PACKAGE TRAY TRIM PANEL ASSEMBLY" comes off in one piece. I assembled a PDF that has the complete instructions for the removal of the side rear speakers, which requires the removal of the tray mentioned above. I have not yet done this myself because it looks like quite the job.

Anyway hopefully this will help and if anyone actually decides to undertake this project, please take photos and post updates.

Here is the PDF download. http://www.mediafire.com/?bbtgyo4xu91

Old 04-20-2008, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo
try putting it on eBay
Didn't really want to deal with shipping so but I might put it up as pick up only. Actually, the amp isn't bad to ship, it is the sub/box. But I digress....

Old 04-21-2008, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Moptop
I also have been looking into the vibration of the rear panel. One rattle I noticed is coming from the child restraint anchor cover. When the bass is heavy the flip-up latch vibrates quite a lot. This was an easy fix, I just cut a small square of high-density foam and stuck it underneath the cover. This created enough of a resistance to keep the cover from rattling but not pop it right up.

The other vibration is of course the battery vent itself. The whole thing vibrates like crazy with a lot of bass. When I put my hand on top of it, it is instantly silenced, that would lead me to think that some Dynamat may work to dampen the vibration.

Looking through the service manual it looks like the vent itself doesn't come off from the top, hence the broken clips you are experiencing. According the the manual the "PACKAGE TRAY TRIM PANEL ASSEMBLY" comes off in one piece. I assembled a PDF that has the complete instructions for the removal of the side rear speakers, which requires the removal of the tray mentioned above. I have not yet done this myself because it looks like quite the job.

Anyway hopefully this will help and if anyone actually decides to undertake this project, please take photos and post updates.

Here is the PDF download. http://www.mediafire.com/?bbtgyo4xu91
Thanks Moptop.