What are the options for XM Radio Installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default What are the options for XM Radio Installation

Hi,

I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid that is "XM-Ready", with the Nav system and touch screen. I bought it in September of 2006.

What are my options for getting the XM Radio installed, and how much should I expect to pay?

Thanks,
Paul

Old 04-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What are the options for XM Radio Installation

well you could do it yourself if you are into that kind of thing. its not hard. its all plug and play. the only thing is that you have to run the wires for the antenna and the XM module. but other than that it just plugs into the back of the nav system and the radio will recognixe it. the unit will cost about $200-300. and install would be maybe $60. someone can correct me if i'm wrong on prices but i should be in the ball park.

Last edited by cngrevolution; 04-19-2008 at 06:44 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 04-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Does that mean that the antenna is already installed in the car, and all that is needed is to run the cable to it?

Old 04-19-2008, 09:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

no. you have to install the module and the antenna. it would be nice if they did pre install the antenna but oh well. You can put the antenna in your back window or on the trunk lid. its not hard but does require some wires to be run.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cngrevolution
well you could do it yourself if you are into that kind of thing. its not hard. its all plug and play. the only thing is that you have to run the wires for the antenna and the XM module. but other than that it just plugs into the back of the nav system and the radio will recognixe it. the unit will cost about $200-300. and install would be maybe $60. someone can correct me if i'm wrong on prices but i should be in the ball park.
The unit cost of $200-300 is for the Toyota OEM unit. You can get the same functionality from the Terk unit for $99 and install it yourself in less than 90 minutes.
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...er-gen6-11754/

Old 04-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

I bought the OEM kit and required installation brackets. Total cost was about $270 and I installed it myself. If you like that kind of thing it is a pretty easy afternoon. I bought it from Sparks Toyota: http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=1035

They have a lot of Toyota OEM kits and they let you download the install pdf from their website. You can check it out and if the install looks do-able to you buy the kit. One of the other replies were correct, you run the antenna and stick it to either the rear glass or the top of the trunk or roof. It is a little black square about an inch by an inch by half an inch thick.

I like the Toyota kits and hope that the Toyota Mechanics follow all of the instructions they are given. The harnesses are always the perfect lengths. The connectors all fit. They give you plenty of wire ties and foam tape. Any wire comes near a bare metal surface and they want you to protect it.

My only tip on this install is read the instruction on installing the receiver mounting brackets. They don’t go on symmetrically, the diagrams show you the right way. I breezed through the assembly and mounted the brackets the way I thought they should go. Needless to say the holes and screws did not line up – the instructions were right!!!!

I drove up to Vermont from New York with my brother and his family. After about 3 hours, I said, “You’ve been listening to XM- what do you think?”. He said, “What is the difference?” I said, “We’ve been driving for 3 hours, crossed 3 states and you have not heard an interruption to the music, a DJ or a commercial in any of that time!!!” There are some stations with commercials - that pissed me off the first time I heard it, especially on the Comedy channels!!!