The shudder. Do you ever get used to it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 06:14 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Default Re: The shudder. Do you ever get used to it?

Originally Posted by donwt
I just got my TCH on Monday and am really new to this forum. What is ICE
Internal Combustion Engine

Old 05-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, now I really feel dumb

Old 05-14-2007, 12:10 AM
Enthusiast

Hmm. Well, perhaps I should retitle this thread. The shudder's almost entirely gone! In fact, the day after I started this thread the severe shudder stopped happening almost at once. It's been five days now. It still occurs once in a while, but the severity and frequency of the shudder have greatly reduced. I can't tell you how wonderful it is to start the car, push down on the accelerator and have it smoothly accelerate to 40 mph without the slightest shift or shudder.

Perhaps I'm just not well read enough on this car. Does it have a "breaking in" period? If so, I guess I can consider mine broken in at 1,500 miles.

Anyway, I'm thrilled to say that the shudder is just a shadow of its former self and my buyer's remorse has vanished along with it. I love this car!

Moral of the story? Got a problem with your TCH? Come on here and gripe about it and the next day your problem will vanish!

Last edited by CamryMan; 05-14-2007 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

If you want to feel true violent shuddering, try test driving any HCH. Your perspective of shudder will take on new dynamics.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:36 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

CamryMan — I wonder whether you might have had some water (condensation) in your gas tank, or a bad batch of gasoline? This could perhaps explain the rough ICE start-up. Are you now on your second tank? Perhaps you've cleaned out any water?

Stan

Old 05-14-2007, 09:25 AM
Enthusiast

Actually, Stan, I'm on my fourth tank of gas. I've done a lot of driving the last two weeks. The shuddering was occurring on my 1st-3rd tanks. The funny thing is, the shuddering greatly reduced when the 3rd tank was depleted half way, therefore, I can't imagine that it's the gasoline. I haven’t had an oil change. The weather’s been pleasantly warm and there have been no noticeable changes in the weather since I took delivery of the car. My driving destinations and driving habits haven't changed.

Here’s the odd thing I’m starting to notice, though. Now that the shuddering has largely disappeared, the ICE appears to be a bit more “rough”. The ride is just a little less refined. It has more “growl” or more “grit” in it – if that makes any sense. I notice it when pushing down on the accelerator. It’s doesn’t feel as smooth as butter any more. I mean literally the physical sensation that the soles of my feet get from the pedal – it’s not as smooth. I wouldn’t describe it as harsh at all, but it is noticeably less smooth than before. I guess I’ll take that over the shuddering any day.

Last edited by CamryMan; 05-14-2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Enthusiast

I just purchased my TCH on 5/4. I'm still well into my first tank of gas.

I was out of town most of last week, and I've only driven it on my regular commute now about 3 times. Other times have been driving for the sake of driving or taking the family somewhere because of the 'newness' of the car the kids want to drive it instead of the Highlander Hybrid we also got.

I'm not sensing what I would describe as a shudder at all. Sure you can pick up the vibration of all that metal in the ICE flipping on, but nothing that shakes the passengers. You can feel the gas pedal vibrate a bit, etc.

Not sure what you got goin on.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:50 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

CamryMan — I'm glad to hear that the problem seems to be over now. It might have been water in the tank (where did it come from?), most of which has now been burned up. Just in case, it might be a good idea to add a can of "gas-line anti-freeze" to the tank to help clear out any residual water. I don't see that it can do any harm.

Stan

Old 05-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all the great tips, Stan.