The shudder. Do you ever get used to it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:11 PM
Enthusiast
Default The shudder. Do you ever get used to it?

I'm a new Camry Hybrid owner. I've had my fully loaded magnetic grey metallic baby for just 3 weeks now. I love the car, but it's not perfect. I'm finding that the most nagging problem is the shudder of the ICE kicking in when accelerating from a stop or near stop. The car has such a buttery, smooth feel; it feels like you're driving a Lexus until that God awful shudder cuts through the the smoothness like a jackhammer. At first i was happily taking my friends and coworkers out in the car because I wanted to show it off. However, I'm getting so embarrassed by the shudder; it instantly cheapens the feel of the car. I now make excuses to take someone else's car so that I don't have to get subjected to queries like "What was that?" and "Oh, gosh, what's wrong with the engine/transmission" and "Does that happen every time you step on the gas?"

Funnily enough, my test drive Hybrid didn't shudder once in stop and go traffic, so I wasn't even aware that such a thing happened until I took delivery of my vehicle. I'd also driven in a friend's Prius many times and had never experienced this shuddering. I'd say my own Camry Hybrid elicits the severe shudder 90-95% of the times I accelerate forward from a stop or near stop. I've tried adjusting the pressure I put on the accelerator, but nothing seems to help. I guess I don't understand how so many of you are tolerant of this awful "side effect" of Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive.

I love so many features of the car, but this shudder effect and the extreme wind noise are making me get a serious case of buyer's remorse. Am I alone here?

On a side note, I read somewhere online that Toyota may be issuing a TSB for this issue this year. I wish I would have bookmarked the article/forum posting in which I read this information. Is anyone aware of any solutions for this issue that might be in the pipeline?

Last edited by CamryMan; 05-08-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:23 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: The shudder. Do you ever get used to it?

I think something is wrong with your car. My ICE starts very smoothly and most of the time I would not notice it if I did not see the gauges change. Most noticeable is accelerating from a stop, but even that is less noticeable than most automatic transmissions shifting. You should probably get it checked out.

Keith

Old 05-09-2007, 06:34 AM
Enthusiast

The shudder in my car is no more than the gear shift of an automatic transmission. i don't notice it at all. The shudder was much more pronounced in the Honda Accord Hybrid I test drove before I settled on the TCH. You should probably contact your dealer's service department. I have over 6300 miles on my car with no problems. Good luck and let us know how it is resolved.

JoAnn
Overeager in MD

Old 05-09-2007, 06:52 AM
Enthusiast

I have noticed slight jerk of ICE turning on and off in following situations:

(1) When I am in pure EV mode and ICE kicks in because it needs more power.

(2) At complete stop if ICE was still running, usually within few seconds ICE turns off and I feel slight jerk.

In these 2 situations jerks are noticeable but not disturbing. However, I agree that if you are showing off your car to friends and relatives, these jerks are definitely little embarrassing.

I have not heard anything about any solution in pipeline from Toyota. If anyone has any reliable information on this pipeline solution, please discuss here in this topic or start new one.

Despite this minor issue, I am enjoying my TCH. I am on my first dealer supplied tank with 700 KMS on ODO meter and 1/4 tank to go. So my experience with TCH is only about 5 weeks. I am hopping I will have same great experience and enjoy TCH as much after 5 years. I am baby sitting my car like small infant and try to keep in same showroom condition because I would like to keep this car for at least 15 years. No, I am not millionaire and I can not afford to buy new car every couple of years.

Thanks and have happy riding in your TCH for many years to come.

Last edited by pitokhato; 05-09-2007 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Definitely have the dealer check out the car. It sounds almost like a loose or bad motor mount. Most of the time I don't notice the ICE starting/stopping. I would say starting from a stop is when it is most noticeable. Even then it is mild, like an automatic transmission shifting from 1st to 2nd. Just wondering, how is the engine oil level?

It might be worth opening the hood and watching/listening to the ICE startup. Just open the hood, press the Start button, and about 7 seconds later the ICE will start. You can "force" the ICE to start at will by putting the transmission in Park, and pressing the gas pedal. Release the pedal and the ICE will stop after a short time. Repeat as needed to observe how the ICE starts and listen for unusual noises, etc.

If you know anyone else with a TCH, compare how theirs starts, take them for a drive and get their opinion.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:59 AM

I have a slight shudder but nothing major and it is similar to all other hybrids I have been in. Sometimes it is a little more noticeable. Sometimes I feel something that is very similar to a automatic transmission.

I do understand your feelings of embarrassment. I was wondering just how much passengers can feel it and so far they have all told me they do not really feel anything. After riding in the front passenger seat myself, I can also say I really do not feel anything.

I wish TSBs were sent out to the owners as well as the dealerships since they are so close to basically being unofficial recalls that we should all have the right to know about them.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:44 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Try pressing the "go" pedal a bit more. At first, I was trying to keep the car in EV mode in pulling away from a stop (ICE off). As the car gained speed, the ICE seemed to come on slower, with more shudder. Then I found that by pressing the pedal more and forcing the ICE on as I began to move, the shudder is less. YMMV.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Mine shudders more when I come to a stop and the ICE turns off. However, it's very smooth when it re-starts after the stop.

I would definitely get it checked out at the dealership.

Good Luck!

Old 05-09-2007, 08:02 AM

What shudder?

Oh, I must be used to it!

Old 05-09-2007, 08:17 AM

Yep, at 13K miles I have no shuddering. Something must be wrong with your car.

Last edited by lars-ss; 05-10-2007 at 06:53 AM.

Quick Reply: The shudder. Do you ever get used to it?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands