Seat belt warning alarm

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Seat belt warning alarm

Originally Posted by bmheck
Don't mean to preach but....

I'm alive today because I was wearing a seat belt in a passenger seat when the unthinkable happened. (This is not an exaggeration; it's a simple literal truth.)
Glad you're alive to preach on. Well said.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bmheck
Don't mean to preach but....

I'm alive today because I was wearing a seat belt in a passenger seat when the unthinkable happened. (This is not an exaggeration; it's a simple literal truth.)

I hope some folks will reconsider the value of the warning chime. There are so many scenarios: suppose your kid borrows the car and has a passenger who doesn't buckle up -- and then the worst happens. Maybe that kid would have buckled up if the warning was driving her crazy. Maybe your kid was too shy to insist that his passenger put on the seat belt. Maybe that passenger had the seat belt off "just for a minute" to turn around or take off a jacket or.....

And that package in the seat -- maybe you have to swerve to avoid a kid darting out into the road, but when you do that package flies over and hits your arm and you lose control. So maybe there's dead kid behind your car when you come to a stop.

There are so many things that can happen and they only take an instant. Sure, most of us will never be in a major accident anyway, but is it that hard to just buckle the seat belt? And if that annoying warning is just enough to remind you, well, it sounds OK to me.
Just remember that disabling the chime is in no way implying said person is not wearing their seat belt.

If your (I don't mean you specifically) child is driving your car, I hope your child has been properly educated. When I was learning to drive the seat belt was not a question of debate and if it were discovered that I or a passenger was not wearing their seat belt, I would lose the privilege to drive.

The package thing, that could happen with or without the seat belt as they are not designed to keep packages restrained.

Also, what about those back seat passengers? They don't get a seat belt warning and I have witnessed back seat passengers being thrown from a car as well -- straight thought that nice sound absorbing windshield.

But, seriously, I am glad you are alive and that the seat belt saved your life. That demonstrates the utmost importance seat belts have. They save lives.

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 09-26-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Just remember that disabling the chime is in no way implying said person is not wearing their seat belt.
What he said.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Enthusiast

You people who come in here and say "its the law wear your seat belt", or it saves lives put it on dont worry about the ding.

It is in no way the Governments right nor the Car companies right to make us wear our seat belt. In no way does it harm anyone but yourself. Therefore it should be a personal choice.

Im all for the chime to remind us to wear the seat belt, but once I make that conscious decision not to wear it, then that chime better turn off.

I personally have been in 3 wrecks. All of which I was not wearing my seat belt and all of which I was the ONLY one not hurt. One of which my face would of been seriously cut up if I had my seatbelt on, but instead my back was. Now I know I am lucky, but what do you say to those exceptions where the seat belt caused death, or serious injury. Those people no longer had the choice to wear there seat belt it was forced upon them and so was there death.

Statistics show that seat belt use saves more life than not, but that still gives no one else the right to tell me I have to wear it and I am unlawful for not doing so.

So please just answer the question.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Pragmatist

Originally Posted by Winsarc
It is in no way the Governments right nor the Car companies right to make us wear our seat belt. In no way does it harm anyone but yourself. Therefore it should be a personal choice.
Actually, not true. When you choose not to wear a seat belt, and then get into a collision, the ambulance takes you to the hospital anyway. You are almost certainly injured far worse than if you had worn the seat belt. The difference is usually hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of medical care. When your insurance company finds out that you were not wearing the seat belt, they refuse to pay on the basis that you were negligent. (Your insurance contract requires you to be reasonably prudent, and to wear a seat belt at all times while in any moving vehicle. You didn't so they don't have to pay.) The government (aka, the rest of us) ends up paying for that ambulance ride and that hospital stay, and for all of the rehab and medicine that follows.

What's worse, is that you might have been able to avoid the collision completely if you had stayed in your chair and kept control of your vehicle.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:47 AM

[sarcasm]
Yikes! This debate just keeps going....jeez, we need to accept personal choice and that the law is the law. Break or not. This should have been a key topic of the recent Presidential race. Economy...it's fine...jeez...I want to talk about seat belts!
[/sarcasm]

Old 11-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Once again, here's a discussion that is so insane that I've tried to resist joining in, but I just can't stand it any longer.

Just for the sake of argument, let's say you have a ranch with a very, very long private road. Now since it's on your own private property, there is probably no legal jurisdiction for a seat belt law and/or no law enforcement agents who would normally have access to the property. And let's say that you can see down this road forever, and you know that there is no possibility of a any other vehicle to collide with, and you don't keep any animals large enough to be a collision problem, and while going down this road you need to go so dead slow that a seat belt would be of no use.

Now you say that in these conditions you claim the right to use your own judgment as to whether or not you want to wear your seat belt -----and you want to choose not to wear it ----------- and you don't want to be bothered by the seat belt warning chime coming on every time you stop to smell the flowers - or whatever.

Well I have the solution for you: Simply reach over and plug the front passenger's seat belt into the driver's side seat belt receiver. The warning chime will not sound.

Now this solution works only if there is no passenger in the front seat. But that's no real restriction, because if you do have a passenger, you are probably going to be nagged to put your belt on anyway, and in a tone way more annoying than the chime ---- especially if there's a bond of matrimony involved !

Old 09-30-2009, 03:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Let's say I was already wearing it, I get to the beginning of my long driveway, & I decide I want to take it off. I'm not going to reach over to the passenger belt and pull it across while I'm driving.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:08 AM

Okay... don't.
It's your car.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
Okay... don't.
It's your car.
Exactly. And that's why many of us believe that Toyota should not give customers a hard time about disabling the ding. It's our car.

Quick Reply: Seat belt warning alarm

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands