Seat belt warning alarm

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Seat belt warning alarm

Originally Posted by schmidtj
How long will it take (in todays guilt free society) for someone to sue a car-owner for intentionally defeating a safety mechanism? I can see a passenger not fastening his seatbelt, being involved in an accident and going through the front window and claiming he wasn't warned his seatbelt was not fastened. Lawyer finds the owner INTENTIONALLY defeated the warning mechanism and sues for (fill in the amount here) millions of dollars.
Actually it probably has already happened. I'm sure.
I think you got it all wrong.... No one is advocating not using seat belts, rather some of us want the chime to go away since its annoying as hell. I have two other cars from Toyota (a Lexus LS400 and an LX470), neither of which does this annoying chime. So why should I suffer this in my TCH? The idea of intentionally defeating the warning mechanism is really MUTE for two reasons: (1) the manufacturer provided the choice to the consumer, and (2) there is NO law that requires such a warning chime. Tough luck suing anyone for such frivolous excuse!

Old 01-13-2008, 07:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rocket08
Mickie, thanks so much for that list. It was real helpful. Armed with a print-out, I was able to show it to a dealership service people who then had no choice than to make all the changes to my default I wanted, including turning off the seat belt chime... Its now so blissful... I ended up paying for a 1-hr service charge to have 5 settings changed. Sucks here in San Diego that all dealerships rip you off and won't do the little things to maintain good customer relationship. Its $96 I was glad to pay for the peace of mind having this stupid warning chime go away for ever.
Glad it worked out. Bummer about the cost...

You're welcome.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:16 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by rocket08
I think you got it all wrong.... Tough luck suing anyone for such frivolous excuse!
I'm sure McDonalds thought the same thing when that women who chose to put the cup of coffee in her crotch sued them. She made out pretty well. All it takes is a sympathetic jury. And with the "deep pockets" mentality I can see not only the car owner but dealership and Toyota being vunerable.

Last edited by schmidtj; 01-14-2008 at 04:19 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by schmidtj
I'm sure McDonalds thought the same thing when that women who chose to put the cup of coffee in her crotch sued them. She made out pretty well. All it takes is a sympathetic jury. And with the "deep pockets" mentality I can see not only the car owner but dealership and Toyota being vunerable.
Well, in that case there was wrong doing. If I am not mistaken, the McDonald's being sued kept the coffee 5 (or something like that) degrees hotter than spec in an attempt to not have to keep serving cold coffee.

I could be wrong, just thought I point out that difference.

Either way, it's all good!

Old 01-14-2008, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Well, in that case there was wrong doing. If I am not mistaken, the McDonald's being sued kept the coffee 5 (or something like that) degrees hotter than spec in an attempt to not have to keep serving cold coffee.

I could be wrong, just thought I point out that difference.

Either way, it's all good!
You are correct, the actual complaint was that the coffee was being kept too hot (not sure by how many degrees), not that the customer wasn't warned that it is hot. It's amazing how things like this enter the popular mythology. McDonalds (and virtually every other north american fast food outlet) did respond partly by adding the warning labels to the coffee cups, but that was in addition to ensuring that the coffee was no longer being excessively heated.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

if Toyota was concerned about a lawsuit they simply could have not included the alarm in the customizable features.

Now about that "I agree" screen...

Old 01-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by n8kwx
if Toyota was concerned about a lawsuit they simply could have not included the alarm in the customizable features.

Now about that "I agree" screen...
I am quite sure the "I agree" screen is no longer used on the newest version of this GPS system. I think the newest version is 7.1.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by acco20
I am quite sure the "I agree" screen is no longer used on the newest version of this GPS system. I think the newest version is 7.1.
Correct. It's gone in my '08 TCH, however, unfortunately, I still have to deal with it in my '99LS and '03 LX Another "feature" I can live without from Toyota...

Old 01-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

passenger not fastening his seatbelt
Simple. If you ride in the front seat in my car you WILL be wearing the belt or I will remind you. This occurs before we ever leave the driveway.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:47 AM

I think it best to leave the alarm in place.
What if another set of drivers or passengers (future owners, family members, etc.) neglects to buckle up?
They'd miss the, very important, reminder.
If you typically put parcels on the seat, just connect the buckle.
I think the cost (injury to unbuckled passengers) far, far outweighs the inconvenience of reaching over and connecting the buckle (it only takes a few seconds).

Quick Reply: Seat belt warning alarm

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands