Reply from Toyota Canada re: Nav in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 12:23 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Reply from Toyota Canada re: Nav in Canada

Well, I received a reply from Toyota Canada on whether the dealer installed NAV displays hybrid info.
Thank you for your interest in the Toyota Camry.

In response to your request for navigation system clarification, please be advised that the navigation system display for the Camry Hybrid does not output hybrid-specific information such as consumption or energy used. At the present time, we do not have any information available regarding unreleased options. However, we have noted your interest in this option and have forwarded it to our Product Planning department for their information and future consideration.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write.

Given this news, I'm not sure if the NAV is worth the extra $2700 that Toyota Canada wants for it.

Any thoughts from the NAV owners? Is it worth the $$ given that it does not offer any hybrid screens?

Old 05-24-2007, 03:30 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Reply from Toyota Canada re: Nav in Canada

Not worth it. You can get a much better Nav system from other vendors (such as Garmin, for one) much cheaper. And it does not stay with the car.

That said, I am glad I got my Nav system with the Camry. Although it does not have the features that my portable has, it is convenient since it is built in the car and it does show the hybrid data. But, with my purchase negotiations, it was pretty much thrown in on the deal.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

As Skata says you get a bigger bang for your buc with an after market unit like my Garmin Nuvi 660 for $800 shown here in my old Maxima.
It came with a mounting plate for dash or windshield, I went for the bean bag option because when I leave the car there is no tell tale marks on the windshield or a plate to alert a thief to it's presence. The 660 is thin enough to fit in a shirt pocket and the bean bag is left of the floor.
First you see it

Now you don't

Great little unit, talks to me, finds me shopping, fuel, restaurants, takes an SD card which is great for audio books on those long trips etc

Old 05-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Guys, I understand what you are saying about the bang for the buck thing. I have a Garmin C230 and love it. But I guess what I was looking for was an opinion on how useful the other features of the Nav system is. From what I understand, buy getting the nav, I would also get a phonebook for my cel phone, RDS, additional radio controls, a more powerful radio, etc.

Thanks

Old 05-25-2007, 05:45 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

I got the Nav system and am very glad I did!
I used to use a TomTom device (in other cars) mounted to my dash or stuck to my windshield with wires hanging everywhere. The TomTom is great...any nav device is great!
When I got the TCH with Nav, it took me a while to get used to the Nav system and how it operated. I've grown to love it. Even more so after I went on a trip where I used a rental car with my TomTom. The TomTom device did not have all the features I had grown to love in the TCH Nav. The big diff are the screen sizes. The larger screen size in the TCH enables more options on the screen (ie dual map display).

XM Radio display is great
FM Radio and CD/mp3 text is cool too but some of the display is disabled when in motion.
Cell phone integration and phone book are great. My TomTom integrates with my phone too but not nearly as well.

Do you really want to by a new car then stick a suction cupped device to the windshield and have the wire/s runing across the dash?

I feel that the Nav system is a must have!

Old 05-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wilsons66604
I got the Nav system and am very glad I did!
I used to use a TomTom device (in other cars) mounted to my dash or stuck to my windshield with wires hanging everywhere. The TomTom is great...any nav device is great!
When I got the TCH with Nav, it took me a while to get used to the Nav system and how it operated. I've grown to love it. Even more so after I went on a trip where I used a rental car with my TomTom. The TomTom device did not have all the features I had grown to love in the TCH Nav. The big diff are the screen sizes. The larger screen size in the TCH enables more options on the screen (ie dual map display).

XM Radio display is great
FM Radio and CD/mp3 text is cool too but some of the display is disabled when in motion.
Cell phone integration and phone book are great. My TomTom integrates with my phone too but not nearly as well.

Do you really want to by a new car then stick a suction cupped device to the windshield and have the wire/s runing across the dash?

I feel that the Nav system is a must have!
I 'm not going to disagree with you because it's all down to personal choice but what I do question is the additional $1900 Toyota Canada charges for a system that according to your discription does little more than my Garmin with a 4" x 2-1/4" viewing area.
Also just for the record the Garmin will run for hours on it's own battery so there is no need for wires across the dash, it also operates down at the lower cup holder level but then you can't drink coffee too

Old 05-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Dazed and Confused

If my choice was the nav without hybrid functions for $1900 or an aftermarket unit for less, I would go aftermarket.

I would probably get an aftermarket head unit that has nav and DVD movie capability for less than the $1900.

But since I am in the uS, I got the nav with hybrid data and love it.