Questions from France

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Questions from France

Thanks for all the lights! That's very usefull for a little frenchy as me.
Can't we find other people to buy the same car the same day as me and get better price?

So, paying half the price in cash and the rest with loan is good for my credit history. Ok.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by backupguy
Toyota.com shows 33 Toyota Dealerships in the SF Area. Some will give you a better discount then other dealerships so hunting for the best price may be important... unless you are full of money. It could save you a few hundred or maybe much more. You will also have a better selection of colors and options if you look around.
Exchange rate in interesting for me but I'm still looking to save few bucks from places to places. It will pay for the extra things I might need later.

Question: do color and/or option change the price of my insurance, as it is in France?

Old 05-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

If I remember correctly, the navigation only cost about $1100 on the Camry Hybrid.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:25 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by metabaron
Waouh guys! So much answers in such a short time. Let me try to reply to all of you:

Talmy: First question was to be sure this is a good hybrid car. Because, I don't want to buy something with an interesting price and say: ****, was not the good choice.
Paying cash is not a solution as I want to get credit history.
So, you think I should go with a american guy to the dealer?

mikieboyblue:I don't care about satellite radio. Was more about GPS but seems like the included GPS system is not was I can find the best on the market...
Dealership meaning seller with "Honda" written is big, as an official honda seller?
Can't I do like: getting a loan for all and pay it full after few months?
What rate can I expect for someone without credit history except amex here in France and able to pay everything I bought with?
what is invoice. I read it but I don't know what this is.
PS: thanks, US is going to be a big change for me It's really another world compare to France.

backupguy: what price did you got for this? Can I have a look (pictures) at your car (inside and outside). do you got moonroof?
Why is this important?
A few comments on credit history and joys thereof.

Credit history in France won't be considered by US lenders - US credit reporting agencies don't look at any non-US transaction data. Also, EU has considerably different privacy requirements than US, so the data would most likely not be shared anyways. So, any history in France wouldn't be considered.

A lot will also depend on your visa status. If you get a 'real' SSN (via some sort of work-permitted visa and/or permanent residency), then a secured loan (even with minimal local history) is possible, though at a relatively high interest rate. A non-resident Taxpayer ID Number may create a problem - that will depend on the bank, and how obscene an interest rate you're willing to pay.

In any case, the "Patriot Act" passed as a post 9/11/01 reaction requires most lenders to 'know their customers' (read, insist on some sort of government ID and be able to produce files keyed by it to the government, when requested) to enable the government's easy tracking of peoples' financial data.

While it's possible to get a loan without such docs, it'll be at a significant 'risk premium' through 'not-traditional' sources.

As to 'building a history' - most lenders will consider anyone with < 2 years of history as 'newly established', typically subject to risk premium pricing. Also, risk models purchased by most lenders (e.g. FICO, or Beacon; both are commonly advertised as disclaimers in financing offers) require multiple trade lines (read loan accounts of some sort, including credit cards, personal loans, mortgages, as well as car loans) to compute - if all you have is a car loan and maybe a Amex, you'll be considered 'thin', again subject to risk premium pricing.

On car loans, a 'low risk' may be able to get 5-6% APR loan, median risk about 8-10%, and non-established can go up to 12-15% or more, if the lender is even willing to write the loan. Typically a sizable down-payment (> 30% of purchase price) will help overcome a 'thin' credit history.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the lights on my problems!

Old 05-16-2008, 07:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by metabaron
Question: do color and/or option change the price of my insurance, as it is in France?
Sometimes, yes. For example, a security system will often lower your insurance.

It depends on the insurance company. I have Geico and they have been good.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:01 AM

The hybrid's standard immobilizer system qualifies for a discount.
Don't justify over paying for the car (loan or lease) if you can afford to pay cash for the car, to build a credit rating. If you can afford the purchase, you will save money by paying in full, rather than financing it.
There are other ways that you can build a credit rating, such as taking out a charge card and paying the bills in full each month.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
The hybrid's standard immobilizer system qualifies for a discount.
Sorry, too much "english" for me. What does that mean?

Old 05-16-2008, 09:20 AM

The car can't move if the electronic key isn't present or if the car isn't powered on (Toyota calls this feature the immobilizer)
This feature is sufficient to earn a discount on insurance.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Enthusiast

Oh, ok. thanks for the clarification.

In general, I would like to thanks all of you for helping me and not laughing at a poor guy not knowing how things work on the other side of the ocean.