Pros and cons of various iPod interfaces (and possibly other MP3 players)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Pros and cons of various iPod interfaces (and possibly other MP3 players)

I will attempt to update the main post soon.

Backupguy: Do you know if there is going to be a firmware update for the USA SPEC device?

Old 05-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Pros and cons of various iPod interfaces (and possibly other MP3 players)

I talked to tech support and I couldn't really tell. The USA Spec website has almost no support info and no other firmware to download/install. When I called, tech support was helpful but the entire support department seemed like one person only so they must not get many calls.

Maybe they will release a new control module later. That would be easy to install since the cables are already plugged into the radio.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by backupguy
I talked to tech support and I couldn't really tell. The USA Spec website has almost no support info and no other firmware to download/install. When I called, tech support was helpful but the entire support department seemed like one person only so they must not get many calls.

Maybe they will release a new control module later. That would be easy to install since the cables are already plugged into the radio.
I'd be concerned with the cost. Nothing is worse than buying something and having to buy it again in 6 months.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Pros and cons of various iPod interfaces (and possibly other MP3 players)

I would be interested in seeing an update to the comparisons of various iPod interfaces.

I have a 32 GB iPod Touch and want to be able to use the steering wheel control for playlist and song switching and would like to see the names of the playlists and songs. I know how to override the Toyota Nav limitation.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:31 PM
Enthusiast

For my nissan altima I use ipod connector I found at http://www.nissanaltimaipodmp3.com/
This connector works for the Nissan models with a circular 8-PIN DIN socket connector on the back of their car stereo systems.
It is really simple to use and easy to install and has all installation instructions if someone wants to install it themselves.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:23 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by H2O Doctor
I would be interested in seeing an update to the comparisons of various iPod interfaces.

I have a 32 GB iPod Touch and want to be able to use the steering wheel control for playlist and song switching and would like to see the names of the playlists and songs. I know how to override the Toyota Nav limitation.

Toyota makes two interface kits that are OEM Parts. Run about $199 each. PN PT233-47100 was just released and is not readily available and states it is for the 2010 Prius. (Which also is capable of using a PT545-00082 kit that can also be used on most other Toyota/Lexus JBL Systems.) The new PT233-47100 has an Aux Audio/USB plug that replaces the current Aux Audio plug. This allows a thumb drive or IPOD usb cable to be used for iPhone/iTouch/iPod. Or you can just plug in an external USB hard drive. I took the chance that it will work in a 2007 Camry since the 2010 Prius can use the older non-usb ipod interface as well. I found it with a google search... I will post results next week.

Dave

Old 08-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davejc42
Toyota makes two interface kits that are OEM Parts. Run about $199 each.
I'm curious about your experience with the Toyota OEM parts.

When I bought my 2009 TCH, I had them install one of the OEM parts. It was listed as available for the 2009 Camry, but *not* the 2009 Camry Hybrid. Dealer installed it anyway.

What it did was cause the JBL stereo to repeatedly crash. It would be playing fine, then nothing. The display would lock up. The buttons wouldn't function. Disconnecting the iPod wouldn't help. The kicker? You couldn't even turn off the stereo with the stereo power button. You had to actually turn off the car to get the stereo operational again.

After having the dealer replace the JBL stereo and the problem still occurred, we decided to removed the OEM iPod unit. After that the JBL stereo was fine. I never did bother having them replace the OEM iPod unit. After having to turn the car off several times to reboot the stereo, I got scared of toying with the car, given how sensitive new vehicles are to changes in their wiring. Went out an bought a 3.5mm mini to mini plug and now I just use the AUX port. Sure do miss the iPod adapter though.

Last edited by DragonBreath; 08-19-2009 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Adding quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:38 AM
Enthusiast

Toyota makes two interface kits that are OEM Parts. Run about $199 each. PN PT233-47100 was just released and is not readily available and states it is for the 2010 Prius. (Which also is capable of using a PT545-00082 kit that can also be used on most other Toyota/Lexus JBL Systems.) The new PT233-47100 has an Aux Audio/USB plug that replaces the current Aux Audio plug. This allows a thumb drive or IPOD usb cable to be used for iPhone/iTouch/iPod. Or you can just plug in an external USB hard drive. I took the chance that it will work in a 2007 Camry since the 2010 Prius can use the older non-usb ipod interface as well. I found it with a google search... I will post results next week.

Dave
Well the results were not good. The databus recognized the new device, however the PT233-47100 interface for the 2010 Prius did not function at all except for charging the IPOD.

Dave

Old 08-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Enthusiast

Well the results were not good. The databus recognized the new device, however the PT233-47100 interface for the 2010 Prius did not function at all except for charging the IPOD.

Dave
I have to say I had a bad feeling about this. As far as I know it's not even available for 2009 Prius's, so I didn't see how it would work for a Camry.

Hopefully you can return it?