Problems with my 2009 camry hybrid steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 01:25 PM
Enthusiast
Default Problems with my 2009 camry hybrid steering

Hi guys,

Hoping someone here can help me with my 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid with 125k miles. Last year I bought this car off a dealership with 93k miles on it in excellent condition. Haven't need a single thing since I bought it until a couple weeks ago. While driving it the steering started to become stiff/hard to turn left or right and sometimes after I would make the turn the steering wheel would lock up and not turn back to center position even with me trying to force the steering wheel back to center. Quite scary. Took it to my dealership & they said they ran some diagnostics and it all came back in spec but they would reflash it and let it sit for a day and see what happened. Well after the reset they said it drove fine for a day and then it went back to doing what it was doing so they told me they believed it was the steering rack itself and they replaced that at a cost of $1400. Now 3 weeks later my car has started doing the exact same thing again. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? I'm thinking maybe the computer could be the cause but I'm not really sure. It's weird because sometimes I can drive 10 miles & it doesn't do it once. Then other times every time I try to turn it'll either require a lot of force or just completely locks and won't allow me to turn or it won't let me move steering wheel back to center. There is no weird noises, no check engine light and no physical damage. I can get a mini vci adapter for $60, could that help if I did that? Maybe there is something in techstream that can help with this? Thanks.