Power source up top for radar detector?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 08:10 AM
Enthusiast
Default Power source up top for radar detector?

Will be picking up my new TCH in a couple of weeks.

Is there an easy way to splice into 12V power for my radar detector? I'd hate to drape a cord down to the dash if I can avoid it?

How are you folks powering radar detectors?

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2007, 08:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Power source up top for radar detector?

Originally Posted by snedecor

Is there an easy way to splice into 12V power for my radar detector? I'd hate to drape a cord down to the dash if I can avoid it?

Thanks!
I don't think we use radar detectors! You'l find, rather quickly, that the driving style becomes a "how high can I get the MPG, rather than how high can I get the MPH!"

Enjoy your new TCH when it comes!

Old 06-16-2007, 01:37 PM

Thanks!
I actually have a Passport 8500 with both the direct wire Smart Cord and the original coiled cord.

I couldn't fine a good place for it, so it has been in the glove compartment for 11 months. I don't know if there is a good source for the 12V power in the overhead console. I actually had a hard time finding an inconspicuous place for it to mount on the windshield. On my previous vehicles, I like to keep it close to the rearview mirror, as high as possible on the windshield. This isn't possible in this car because of the painted dot pattern on the windshield in this area around the mirror (I think this pattern is intended to act as a sun visor)...

I honestly haven't missed it that much, but if I could get it mounted in that area I might have investigated the power options a bit more.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Enthusiast

I have my V-1 in the upper driver corner of the windshied due to the painted dot pattern on the windshield in the mirror side. I had an installer put in a hidden power and remote cord and the power was tapped off the central console area.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

www.Rav4world.com has a good diagram of the wiring connections for the powered rear view mirror. You may want to see if anything "matches" in the overhead wiring. Obviously, YMMV. I don't need the connection, so I haven't looked.
http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2714

Old 06-17-2007, 11:52 AM

Thanks!
It's your first post, so let me just let you know that there is a wealth of information in this forum. Just about anything and everything you could do to your Camry Hybrid has been previously discussed, so the search tool becomes very valuable. I recall a discussion about this very topic, and to my best recollection the previous posters had spliced into the power for the rear view mirror. Use the search tool and I'm sure you'll find the post, hopefully they will have described their install in great detail. Good luck and welcome!

Old 06-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flopshot
It's your first post, so let me just let you know that there is a wealth of information in this forum. Just about anything and everything you could do to your Camry Hybrid has been previously discussed, so the search tool becomes very valuable. I recall a discussion about this very topic, and to my best recollection the previous posters had spliced into the power for the rear view mirror. Use the search tool and I'm sure you'll find the post, hopefully they will have described their install in great detail. Good luck and welcome!

FYI, I did search before posting. I searched for "radar detector power" and got nothing (1 thread, as I recall). I then searched just for "radar detector" and got more posts, but nothing I could recognize as installation instructions.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:13 PM
Enthusiast

I used a piggyback fuse connector at the fuse box and ran the wire up the side of the dash, along the door pillar next to the windshield glass and under the front edge of the headliner over to the radar detector.
To get the wire tucked under the headliner and along the door post, I used a plastic spatula from the kitchen and it was easy to push the wire up out of sight.

Stargazer posts a picture of the fuse connector in the forum article: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t38493.html

For the wiring, I bought a fused Hardwire Cord from Cobra: http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page=...ct_id=364&id=1
Hmmm, I see they're out of stock, here's another supplier: http://www.wynit.com/item.asp?id=21732&cid=38

My radar detector actually has two fuses, one on the piggyback connector and one on the hardwire cord.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:34 PM
Roy
Active Enthusiast

FYI, I did search before posting. I searched for "radar detector power" and got nothing (1 thread, as I recall). I then searched just for "radar detector" and got more posts, but nothing I could recognize as installation instructions.
I guess some folks like to think they are in charge and can't help themselves.

I found the same. I'm just sticking the V1 on and running a coiled cord down the r/side of the radio and into the power plug. When running through VA ya gotta be able to pull them down real quick.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Enthusiast

panhandlejim, which fuse did you piggyback to? My piggyback connector said to only use 10A. I tried MIR HTR since I knew what it was, but it only worked with the defroster on.

Quick Reply: Power source up top for radar detector?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands