Performance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Performance?

Yeah, as I said, I'm coming from a car with a Powerful V6 engine, and I'm driving my new TCH the same way. I won't hesitate to pass when I want to, and drive 75+ on the highway when conditions warrant. I'm getting 34 mpg on my first two tanks.

You really need to drive the car, of course. The Camry Hybrid will NOT get performance equivalent to the current Camry V6. It WILL get performance equivalent to last generation's V6, and many American "lower-tech" V6's (ie the GM 3.5L V6 in the Malibu and G6). It is very very quick for a 4 cyl. It is NOT like other hybrids (like Civic and Prius) in terms of performance.

Old 07-09-2006, 11:12 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MFLetou
Yeah, as I said, I'm coming from a car with a Powerful V6 engine, and I'm driving my new TCH the same way. I won't hesitate to pass when I want to, and drive 75+ on the highway when conditions warrant. I'm getting 34 mpg on my first two tanks.

You really need to drive the car, of course. The Camry Hybrid will NOT get performance equivalent to the current Camry V6. It WILL get performance equivalent to last generation's V6, and many American "lower-tech" V6's (ie the GM 3.5L V6 in the Malibu and G6). It is very very quick for a 4 cyl. It is NOT like other hybrids (like Civic and Prius) in terms of performance.
thanks for your input.... yea the only reason why i didn't test drive the one on the lot was because i already told my sales guy i didn't want it because i asked for a fully loaded one.. but every dealer i went to didn't have one on display..... of course... and the only reason why it was there is because the person who orderd it backed out cause they couldn't finance it... but there was someone who was interested in the car while i was there and waiting for me to finish messing around with it so they can have they're turn

i didn't get to test drive the prius either.. so i have nothing to base the camry off of besides that hybrid civic.. and it was so BAD for me anyways

can anyone else share... or redirect me to a thread with more info...

Old 07-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Enthusiast

We test drove an SE and then immediately test drove a hybrid. The hybrid does not perform exactly like the V6 SE. In my estimation, they're close. The V6 seems to do it easier though. I drove the same route with both cars - took it on the freeway to see how well/quickly it gets up to speed. The SE does it well and does it quietly. The hyrbrid also did it well, just not quite as well, and not as quietly. You can definitely hear the engine working. I definitely feel I have enough power in the hybrid to get it going if need be though. It doesn't lack power in my opinion.

If you're concerned, I would try to drive both one right after the other and see if the difference matters to you. The hybrid has enough power for me...it doesn't slug along by any means.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-10-2006, 05:36 PM
AKM
Somewhat hard driver

Thanks everyone, your responses have been very helpful.

I think I am going to like this vehicle much more then I originally thought I would!

Old 07-15-2006, 08:18 PM
AKM
Somewhat hard driver

UPDATE:

(Please read the first post of this thread).

I picked up my Mag Gray/Ash, fully loaded (much to my surprise, see first post and thanks too my Boss) Camry last night after work.

After cursing home on the freeway at speeds of 60-80MPH (for break-in purposes) and pulling my normal uphill grade to make it home I must say (and to my delight) that this vehicle IS NO DOG!

Today the wife and I took a nice relaxing semi-hilly (but very windy) drive at speeds of about 35-45MPH (for break-in purposes) and the majority of the time I noticed that the car was either running on Electric power (if I kept it under 40MPH) or the regenerative power mode (coasting/breaking down hill).

We came home on the freeway at break-in speeds and after the 158 mile round trip drive all I can say is......I LIKE IT!

The only thing I do not like is the stammer you experience from the electric to electric/motor mode if you try to drive like a granny and feather the accelerator in order to save a few drops of petrol (this should not be a problem for me).

So far the consumption reads 29.7 MPH (after only 185 miles total) and I am amazed since it’s not even broken-in yet and I have driven it through a wide range of driving conditions.

The Nav system is amazing and accurate IF you enter your info correctly (please do not ask me how I know this ).

All in all things are looking very good.

I will report back after she's fully broke-in!

John

(I just can not get used to the automatic double spacing that this site provides!)

Last edited by AKM; 07-16-2006 at 08:38 AM.