Better spark performance = higher MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 07:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Better spark performance = higher MPG?

Does anyone who understands engines really well think that better spark will improve MPG? In the Civic Hybrid, with two spark plugs per cylinder, would an improved spark burn more fuel and waste less during the combustion process?

I have priced these E3 spark plugs at JC Whitney and they are $8.99 each. To get a full compliment for the HCH would be about $90 with shipping, so it's not something I can afford to "try" without a good expectation of success.

Does anyone think this would improve MPG?

http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/tech.asp

Old 01-17-2005, 12:23 PM

Hi Lars-ss:

___I would have thought Honda and the engineering wizard’s that create and design the most FE ICE’s on the planet would have tested every known method of spark ignition and flame propagation known to them at the time of design. The i-DSI design is using those 2 plugs to create higher performance/higher FE without inducing knock. I am not saying these plugs will not help but why not improve your personal FE with the std. techniques as you are almost in the perfect temperatures for it first. Afterwards, you can isolate other variables like 91 Octane, different plugs, or Tornado intakes.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 01-17-2005, 01:25 PM
Default E3 might or may not help - that's why I'm asking...

Originally Posted by xcel
Hi Lars-ss:___I would have thought Honda and the engineering wizard’s that create and design the most FE ICE’s on the planet would have tested every known method of spark ignition and flame propagation known to them at the time of design. The i-DSI design is using those 2 plugs to create higher performance/higher FE without inducing knock. I am not saying these plugs will not help but why not improve your personal FE with the std. techniques as you are almost in the perfect temperatures for it first. Afterwards, you can isolate other variables like 91 Octane, different plugs, or Tornado intakes. ___Good Luck___Wayne R. Gerdes ___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net
I know Honda has the engineering expertise. But the E3 plugs were invented AFTER the HCH was invented. So it's a new variable.

Other plug mfgers in the past have had "better burning" sparks, and I do not know of any who have documented evidence that they burn fuel better and improve MPG, but who knows when something will be invented that WILL do that? I'm just interested in the possibilities.

For example, the new Mercedes diesel cars have 23,500 PSI injectors - no one knew how effective that would be until they tried it....

I know those stupid Tornado thingies do not work. But who knows if a better plug is out there until it is tried and declared a failure? No one knew those Tornados were a failure until they were tested.

Last edited by lars-ss; 01-17-2005 at 01:26 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-17-2005, 04:07 PM

To tell the truth the best way to find out if they are legit or not is to call GA Tech or Michigan and ask how the testing went that was done in there facility. Chances are that one of the professors helped them out and would know. (the reason i state those two colleges is because of a reference to testing there on the E3 website)