An open letter to the "big guns" on the mileage database...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 06:47 AM
Default Re: An open letter to the "big guns" on the mileage database...

Originally Posted by Droid13

I like the fact that the database results can be displayed in US or metric based on user preference, but it would be nice to be able to enter figures in metric too.
Thats why I use the one on www.cleanmpg.com . It has a whole lot more you can put in to it which turns some people off, but you can select what units the data you entered is in.

Of course I'm biased because I wrote the database on that site.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:51 AM
Enthusiast

Beat this low mileage...

My first three tanks, I've gotten about 29 mpg... Now that it's gotten cold, my last tank was 26mpg..

My commute is 2 miles, ALL stop and go LOCAL with about 14 stop signs / lights. My engine barely gets to warm up before i reach my destination.

Now I know that short trips can kill your mileage but 26 mpg??? that's a bit ridiculous. Am I crazy, or is this expected given my low FE commute?

Old 10-29-2006, 06:21 AM
Too Smug

I for one, don't think you are crazy. There are a lot of variables that will determine your mpg, but your short commute is not helping. On the other hand, there are a few million out there who would love a 2 mile drive to work!

FYI, I have a 4 mile commute each way, and I am seeing my mileage slipping to around 33 mpg from a consistent 37 - 38 this summer. The car just doesn't have time to warm up. Then again, I am home in 10 minutes! Thats a tradeoff I'll take any day.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TCHduped
Beat this low mileage...

My first three tanks, I've gotten about 29 mpg... Now that it's gotten cold, my last tank was 26mpg..

My commute is 2 miles, ALL stop and go LOCAL with about 14 stop signs / lights. My engine barely gets to warm up before i reach my destination.

Now I know that short trips can kill your mileage but 26 mpg??? that's a bit ridiculous. Am I crazy, or is this expected given my low FE commute?
Stop and go is the worst, because the ICE kicks in on just about every start. On my 1.5 miles to get to the highway, I average maybe 20mpg and that is only if I hit all the lights when green. Also, what kind of terrain do you drive? There was one poster who posted here claiming false advertising against Toyota for the billboards that said "Camry Hybrid, 40mpg city... any city" because he was only getting 30mpg. Except that he lived in SF and his driving was over some of the steepest hills in the country.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:36 AM

Beat this low mileage...

TCHDuped, I think your screen name is a bit unfair. What were you driving before this and what kind of mileage were you getting? I bet it was a lot lower than other people driving the same car. Just a simple fact. Short commutes with cold engines are mpg killers. However, I don't think I would recommend a hybrid to a driver with such a short commute.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:22 AM
Dazed and Confused

I know that when I first leave my driveway to about my 4-5 mile point in my commute, I am getting about 20 MPG. I would say that if you are getting 26 MPG on a 2 mile drive cycle you should consider yourself lucky.

Have you taken the car out for a drive around town or in the country? I would bet that given a fair driving cycle you would see the same mileages that the rest of us are seeing.

Instead of feeling ripped of for not getting 40 MPG when driving only 4 miles a day, consider yourself lucky that you don't have to drive 150 miles a day to get to and from work. I spend more in fuel in one day than you do in an entire month.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:44 AM
Enthusiast

Duped writes:
In that short of distance and cold i bet the o2 sensor is not even allowing the ECU to go into closed loop which would make the mixture very rich!!! Sounds like you should have bought the Corolla which in that situation would have gotten better fuel ecomomy. A few salesman should wise up and start selling the right car for the right job. I never start my TCH that I do not drive at least 30+ miles. i have different vehicals for different jobs, Make sense?

Old 10-30-2006, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by ag4ever
I know that when I first leave my driveway to about my 4-5 mile point in my commute, I am getting about 20 MPG. I would say that if you are getting 26 MPG on a 2 mile drive cycle you should consider yourself lucky.
Good point. It's just about the 2 mile point in my commute that I start getting any indicator lighting on the trip fuel economy meter. That would also put me right around 26 mpg. With the colder weather in the morning lately I don't get any lights coming on until after I'm on the highway for a little while, so I'm not even getting 26 mpg for the first two miles.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:58 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I bet if he were driving a 4 banger LE he would be getting MPG in the teens.
I have a similar problem and I have talked about it here. My commute is 12 miles to work. I count 14 stops that I nail just about each one of them. This does not count people stopping in front of me to turn. I can not go 1 mile without stopping. I am good to get 35mpg where other people on here get 40 plus. The difference is that I understand and don't expect my TCH to get the advertised 40mpg because I have so much stop and go. I have a Highlander V6 and it averages about 15mpg on the same trip. Thats BAD!! Am I pissed off that Toyota says I should be getting 19 in the city? No, it gets bad MPG because it has to work from stop and go just like the TCH.

Yesterday I took a trip to Orange Beach AL. I was traveling on a 4 lane road, no stop lights and had the cruise set at 50. I drove for 40 minutes like that and very quickly had my ECO meter pegged. It stayed pegged. I HAD 4 PEOPLE IN MY CAR WITH THE AC ON!!! 42+MPG with 4 people in the CAR!!!

I looked over at my wife on the way home and I said "Thats how those people on the board are getting 40+ mpg. They drive a trip like this to work everyday."

Don't blame Toyota for lying to you, blame your own ignorance. (I know that's harsh, but so is your handle)

Old 10-30-2006, 08:24 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Beat this low mileage...

Personally, I think you are lucky you get what you do for this type of commute. Not sure if you live somewhere with a real winter, but if you do, turn off the FE display, you won't want to see it as it starts to get really cold. But think of this, a 2 mile trip at 25mpg and $3/g will cost you $0.48 round trip. Even if you magically got the TCH up to 50mpg for a trip like this, you'd only save $0.24 a day.

I would be more concerned about the wear and tear of constantly driving the car cold. Buy a beater and save the TCH for trips.

Quick Reply: An open letter to the "big guns" on the mileage database...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands