An open letter to the "big guns" on the mileage database...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 02:49 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: An open letter to the "big guns" on the mileage database...

Mine is far from ideal. 12 miles one way. 12 stops and some hills. Those stops do not count the times someone turns or pulls out in front of me.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by spiff72
49.7 mpg over exactly 1000 miles (and just one tank of exactly 20 gallons?) - this one seems fishy to me. The tank only holds 17.2 gallons! Are these canadian figures or something (using imperial gallons)? maybe this was a test entry that someone made?

Thanks!

First off, I'm not a TCH owner.

But a possible answer to filling a 17.2 gallon fuel tank to 20 gallons is an "overfill".
You can continue to slowly pump fuel until the system is full (up to the neck of the fill tube). This will put additional fuel into the vapor recovery system (which is usually not recommended, it could lead to problems or increased emissions).

So it may be doable.

Regards,

Old 10-25-2006, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by hawkGT647
First off, I'm not a TCH owner.

But a possible answer to filling a 17.2 gallon fuel tank to 20 gallons is an "overfill".
You can continue to slowly pump fuel until the system is full (up to the neck of the fill tube). This will put additional fuel into the vapor recovery system (which is usually not recommended, it could lead to problems or increased emissions).

So it may be doable.

Regards,
Getting an extra 2.8 gallaons into the filler tube is real tight, I squeeze in a bit extras to top it off and after an extra gallan it keeps clicking off all the time, so to get an extra 2.8 would be real tough.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:43 PM
Enthusiast

Hi, it's me jocular_chen. the number is not fishy, man! 1000 miles is my milage at that time, it's more one tank. Because I didn't finish my first tank, and next day I would have a long trip, I filled it full. what i did is pulse and glide. Everyone knows that.
I think the difference is I use the electric motor as much as I can. When you are driving on hightway, if it's more than 120 km/h (75mile/h), you will find TCH always use ICE and with good FE. But if you want to get an excellent FE, you need drive around 90km/h (56m/h) with little uphill and downhill. In that senrio, the ICE would stop working sometimes.

Another thing I want to mention here is how to start. From full stop, I always light touch gas panel, make the car moving a little, then push the panel hard, let FE meter colse to limit. It's not easy to move 2000 kg car with only 187hp. After your car is moving whatever speed it is, it wouldn't be easy to let FE meter reach limit. while if you push hard from the beginning. FE meter is always on the limit, am I right? The reason I push hard after car is moving is that only when I push hard, it will use electric motor, otherwise it's only use ICE to accelerate. Same as uphill that case. Check your energy flow you will see what time you are using eletric motor. Use it as much as you can.
I got 5.5l/100km with my second tank from that long trip. it's more than 50mpg. When I drive in city, I only get 5.9l/100km, it's around 45mpg.
Good luck, everyone!

Last edited by jocular_chen; 10-25-2006 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'm hardly one of the top performers, but at over 40 mpg I'm not doing too bad. I also go by the measured, not the indicated MPG, otherwise I could add another mpg.

I definitely drive somewhat differently, but not hugely. Whereas I used to drive between 5 and 10 mph over the limit (safe around here) I now drive 0 - 5 mph over the limit. I tend to use cruise a bit more than I used to. On flat roads it seems to do better than I would on my own. However, if in EV mode I won't use cruise as the minor undulations (50 cent word alert) in the road can cause the ICE to kick in.

This week has been unusually cold for southeastern Virginia. It's been mid-30s when I leave for work. I've noticed about a 2 - 3 mpg hit. It won't show up in the database because my average was compiled by some lower mpg tanks at first (36 - 38) followed by higher ones when I shut the A/C (43 - 44 mpg). But right now I'm maintaining about 41 mpg.

My commute consists of 2 miles before I hit the expressway. Up until last week I could ride the second of those miles in EV mode. With the colder weather I don't go into EV mode in the morning before I hit the expressway. I haven't quantized it but it seems that the instantaneous mpg gauge is staying a little higher on the dash. I am pretty sure though that it swings a bit more up and down than it was up until last week. I have about 9 - 10 miles on the expressway followed by 4 miles at 45 mph and the last 1.5 miles between 15 and 35 mph. After getting off the expressway, with the engine at temp for a while I find no difference in getting the car to stay in EV mode. If I were continuing further on local roads I'm guessing that the engine would be cooling quicker requiring more ICE on time to warm it up.

I think it's safe to say that people that live in mild climates (Nash in San Diego especially comes to mind) will have an easier time maintaining their FE during the winter months.

Old 10-26-2006, 05:34 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by jocular_chen
Hi, it's me jocular_chen. the number is not fishy, man!
I think I know why you show up as #1 on the TCH database by far. Looks like you are taking your display's L/100km reading, converting it manually to "Imperial" MPG and entering that into the database. The database is actually expecting to use "US" MPG. I have the database set to display everyone's FE back to me in metric, and it shows you at the top with 4.74L/100km which obviously doesn't match with your statement of between 5.5 and 5.9 which is a lot more realistic.

Assuming this is what is happening, your corrected reading should show 41.3mpg (US) on the database or 5.7L/100km.

I like the fact that the database results can be displayed in US or metric based on user preference, but it would be nice to be able to enter figures in metric too.

Last edited by Droid13; 10-26-2006 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:50 AM
Dazed and Confused

One question I have is for those that have both even numbered mieages and fuel fills.

I can understand filling till you get 15 gallons in, but I can not see how you can fill up at exactly the 1000 mile point. i also can't see how you can get 20 gallons in a 17 gallon tank even with the filler tube being full. The only way that can happen is if you combined two tanks together, but even then, how do you stop at the pump with exactly 1000 miles on the odometer?

There is only one way to measure your true mileage, and that is to start with a known volume of fuel, and after a driven distance divide the miles driven by the amount used. The compuer is ESTIMATING fuel used, so it is not accurate. Even using the hand calculated meathod leaves a little error, since you don't fill the tank to the exact spot every time, but over the course of owning the car the errors will avearge out assuming you always fill it full, and that ends up at roughly the same amount of total fuel in the tank after each fuel filling.

These are the reasons, I really don't trust any of the reported numbers where the mileage is at an increment of 1000 or even 100. The mileage should be exactly what the odometer reads while you are sitting next to the gas pump.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Enthusiast

Hi, it's me jocular_chen. the number is not fishy, man! 1000 miles is my milage at that time, it's more one tank. Because I didn't finish my first tank, and next day I would have a long trip, I filled it full. what i did is pulse and glide. Everyone knows that.
I think the difference is I use the electric motor as much as I can. When you are driving on hightway, if it's more than 120 km/h (75mile/h), you will find TCH always use ICE and with good FE. But if you want to get an excellent FE, you need drive around 90km/h (56m/h) with little uphill and downhill. In that senrio, the ICE would stop working sometimes.

Another thing I want to mention here is how to start. From full stop, I always light touch gas panel, make the car moving a little, then push the panel hard, let FE meter colse to limit. It's not easy to move 2000 kg car with only 187hp. After your car is moving whatever speed it is, it wouldn't be easy to let FE meter reach limit. while if you push hard from the beginning. FE meter is always on the limit, am I right? The reason I push hard after car is moving is that only when I push hard, it will use electric motor, otherwise it's only use ICE to accelerate. Same as uphill that case. Check your energy flow you will see what time you are using eletric motor. Use it as much as you can.
I got 5.5l/100km with my second tank from that long trip. it's more than 50mpg. When I drive in city, I only get 5.9l/100km, it's around 45mpg.
Good luck, everyone!
Hang in there Jock!! Just a few with green eyes that wish their TCH or driving habits would get your results.

Old 10-26-2006, 07:50 PM
Enthusiast

I see, Andy! But in the Canadian version Camry hybrid booklet. They equal 5.7l/km with 50 mpg. I don't know how they calculate it. Anyway, I will change my number in the TCH database, I think you are right!

Old 10-26-2006, 10:03 PM
HSD Organic Interface

I see, Andy! But in the Canadian version Camry hybrid booklet. They equal 5.7l/km with 50 mpg. I don't know how they calculate it. Anyway, I will change my number in the TCH database, I think you are right!
Yea, all the Canadian specs are posted in metric with the old Imperial measurements in brackets for the old timers. It's been about 30 yrs since the conversion and some people still can't let go

The info you see is the government fuel consumption rating which is slightly different that the US EPA ratings. They list it as 5.7L/100km (50 mpg Imperial) which equals 41.3 mpg (US)

Quick Reply: An open letter to the "big guns" on the mileage database...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands