Oil filter removal: how much dripping//flooding

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 04:30 AM
TCH 2007 newbie May 07
Default Oil filter removal: how much dripping//flooding

is there during and after popping it off?

The Subie I traded had a near-vertical filter position, yet removing the filter was so messy, I often punctured it and let it drain awhile before final removal. If it wasn't drained, there was alot of dripdown and drainage from the filter mount location. A real messy PITA.

So is the TCH a massive dripper as well? I've got the 1st OC coming up and would like to avoid nasty surprises and keep things as clean as possible.

On a side note I pulled the stick a couple days ago at 4k miles, and the oil looks as clean as when I pulled the stick new. Unreal! Probably got another 5k miles life left.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:07 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil filter removal: how much dripping//flooding

It dribbles a little bit, not a gusher. I wouldn't punch a hole in it.

First oil change??? Good luck getting that beast off. Toyota has slammed their oil filters on tight from the factory for at least 20 years. You may learn to appreciate over-sized channel locks.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:32 AM
Enthusiast

I did my first oil change a few weeks ago and the filter didn't make too much of a mess. It's nearly vertical with no obstructions beneath it. The problem I had was removing it because it was torqued pretty tight and my filter wrench didn't fit. I strongly suggest getting the proper size cup-style oil filter wrench before you begin.

Toyotas use crush washers that appear to be made out of nylon or plastic and don't deform too much like the aluminum ones. I didn't realize they were there for many years on other vehicles because they're usually stuck to the drain plug or the oil pan. Now I put new ones on each oil change because the Toyota dealer gave them to me when I bought filters. Just be sure you've got one in place when you put the drain plug back in.

For potential future warranty issues, I documented the oil change with pictures of the odometer and the new oil and filter, then printed them out, dated them, and put them in my TCH file.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ed_T
is there during and after popping it off?

The Subie I traded had a near-vertical filter position, yet removing the filter was so messy, I often punctured it and let it drain awhile before final removal. If it wasn't drained, there was alot of dripdown and drainage from the filter mount location. A real messy PITA.

So is the TCH a massive dripper as well? I've got the 1st OC coming up and would like to avoid nasty surprises and keep things as clean as possible.

On a side note I pulled the stick a couple days ago at 4k miles, and the oil looks as clean as when I pulled the stick new. Unreal! Probably got another 5k miles life left.
See my post (#27) https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=10564 Basically for a tighter fit, I placed a paper towel in the oil filter cap to remove the oil filter easily. Plus the paper towel caught the extra dripping (although not all of it).

I also replaced the oil drain plug with a fumuto valve to make draining the oil clean and effortless. (http://www.fumotovalve.com or http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/) I highly recommend it if you do your own oil change.

Last edited by Geckoboy; 07-31-2007 at 11:53 AM. Reason: added information about the oil drain valve
Old 08-01-2007, 04:23 AM
TCH 2007 newbie May 07

Geckoboy does the valve hang low enough to possibly get clipped off? I haven't been under tnere yet.

Did you get nipple or standard?

thx

Old 08-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ed_T
Geckoboy does the valve hang low enough to possibly get clipped off? I haven't been under tnere yet.

Did you get nipple or standard?

thx
I got the standard. It does not hang low at all. No danger of it being clipped off. Common thinking is that if there's ever a situation in which the valve is damaged or ripped off, you most likely have a bigger damage on your hands.

I'll post a pic later on of what it looks like installed on my TCH so you could see it.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Dazed and Confused

If you decide to puncture the filter before removal, be sure to loosen it first. You don't want to find out the filter is too tight to remove after you have punched a hole in it.

I punch a hole in my truck's filter to drain it since it holds 1 1/2 quarts of oil and makes a big mess when spilled.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:05 PM
700 Mi Camry Club Member

Anybody know which way to loosen the oil plug bolt. I thought it was couterclockwise or to the left. However....it is real tight. Help!