noise under hood after car is off

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 03:08 AM
Enthusiast
Default noise under hood after car is off

Hello all -

2012 Camry Hybrid XLE, apprx. 120000 miles

I apologize if this has been discussed before - I searched but was unable to find this problem.

Last night after my wife got home, a couple hours after the car was turned off I noticed a whirring or humming sound coming from the front engine area. When I opened the hood it sounded like it was coming from the back left as I'm facing the car. I tried to start the car but it did not respond. This morning when I tied to start it was completely dead, no lights or anything on the dash.

We've had zero issues with this car in the past. Could it be a dead 12V? battery problem? Can I safely jump this battery? It seems that I was told that jumping the battery (not the large hybrid battery) on a hybrid is unsafe. Any help is much appreciated.

thank you

Old 03-19-2020, 08:06 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: noise under hood after car is off

Originally Posted by bodenl1
Hello all -

2012 Camry Hybrid XLE, apprx. 120000 miles

I apologize if this has been discussed before - I searched but was unable to find this problem.

Last night after my wife got home, a couple hours after the car was turned off I noticed a whirring or humming sound coming from the front engine area. When I opened the hood it sounded like it was coming from the back left as I'm facing the car. I tried to start the car but it did not respond. This morning when I tied to start it was completely dead, no lights or anything on the dash.

We've had zero issues with this car in the past. (1) Could it be a dead 12V? (2) battery problem? (3) Can I safely jump this battery? (4) It seems that I was told that jumping the battery (not the large hybrid battery) on a hybrid is unsafe. Any help is much appreciated.

thank you
(1) If it's the original battery from 2012, almost certainly. If it's more than 2 years old, probably.
(2) If you mean hybrid battery problem, symptoms are not consistent with that.
(3) yes. Instructions are in the owner's manual
(4) You were lied to, or you heard it wrong. Again, instructions for jump starting the vehicle are in the owner's manual.

Owner's manual:

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo...chinfoPrelogin

Section 5-2, Page 461

Weak/failing 12V can cause extremely erratic behavior. Proper diagnosis of any issue begins with confirming the 12V system is fully operational. Yours sounds like the 12V is dead. Replace 12V.