Nitrogen Filled Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Nitrogen Filled Tires?

If its only the oxygen that leaks out thru the tire rubber and I replace it with standard air (78% Nitrogen ) then it shouldn't take too long to reach the same level as you would get if you had the air purged and then filled with nitrogen. Since you can't get all the air out to start with anyway shouldn't you end up with more nitrogen in the tire with just cnsistant tire checks? Just a thought for what its worth.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

BOFH,

I hope you go somewhere a LOT warmer than Winnipeg, Canada to go diving..... It's that or you have the most expensive setup to put air in your tires that I have ever heard of....

Old 11-18-2008, 07:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
BOFH,

I hope you go somewhere a LOT warmer than Winnipeg, Canada to go diving..... It's that or you have the most expensive setup to put air in your tires that I have ever heard of....
I've dove in Winnipeg only once (in the Red River) and never want to do that again. But going east a few hours there are some nice lakes and in July/August the water is warm enough for diving without my drysuit.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have been intrigued by the claims for nitrogen fill as posted in other threads and as advertized, and I have actually considered trying it.

But seeing the posts here, I must say I am skeptical of the benefits.

Maybe we should all consider filling with helium. No doubt the weight reduction would lower fuel consumption.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:14 PM
HAPPY TCH OWNER

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack

Maybe we should all consider filling with helium. No doubt the weight reduction would lower fuel consumption.
And if we get bored we can suck on the Valve Stems

Old 11-19-2008, 02:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack
I have been intrigued by the claims for nitrogen fill as posted in other threads and as advertized, and I have actually considered trying it.

But seeing the posts here, I must say I am skeptical of the benefits.

NYAH!

I'm waiting for some Bozo to go y'all one better and use hydrogen!

Last edited by JHSmith; 11-19-2008 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Correct HTML data
Old 11-19-2008, 04:51 AM
old fart

Since 2005 i have been using nitrogen and have put it in 5 cars. the first was a 2005 Prius.On my first trip i had driven 250 miles at about 70 mph and when i stopped I felt the tires and they were cold to the touch.At 13000 miles prior to trading i checked the pressure and It had not changed since filling with nitrogen.
When i get the oil changed in each car they check the pressure and have never had to add air or nitrogen.My wife had a flat tire last month (roofing nail)it was filled with air and after i took it to the place that had filled the tires with nitrogen and they re did that tire at no charge.
I live in Kentucky and my mother living in Michigan turned 90 last month has a 2007 camry hybrid and is still on the road every day.Gone from noon till dark running around.I had nitrogen put in hers last yr and she also has not had to add nitrogen in 10,000 miles.
No one can tell me it dont work,I use it.I dont know if my mpg has increased because i had it done from the get go on new cars.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

duanerw,

I don't think anyone here has said that nitrogen does not help with inflation. The tires filled with dry nitrogen will not fluctuate or lose pressure as fast as a tire filled with air will. Having said that however, if you check your tires weekly or at least every two weeks or so, you can achieve the same benefits, watch your tires for signs of wear and save yourself the money.

My tires are cool to the touch after long interstate drives also. That is a function of the air pressure in the tire. More pressure, less “wiggle” in the tread and less heat buildup in the tire casing will lead to a cool running tire. As long as the internal pressures of the tires are the same, one filled with air will last just as long as one filled with nitrogen. Yes, the nitrogen filled tire will not “oxidize” on the inside. The outside will oxidize though and the tire will need to be replaced when the tread compound has lost enough volatiles to start cracking.

Your tire will also have just as much rolling resistance (filled to the same pressure) no matter what it is filled with. The tire does not care if it is filled with argon, nitrogen, helium or just plain old air. It will still perform as designed for a given pressure range.

The original poster had a dealer making some ludicrous claims about tire life and mileage improvements that were false and needed to be pointed out. If you want carefree driving, then by all means, fill your tires with nitrogen. I prefer to check mine every week, look for signs of wear in the suspension system, tires, alignment issues and check for brake wear.

Last edited by GeorgiaHybrid; 11-20-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Hawaiian

costco in hawaii uses nitrogen in all the new tire sales. No charge. I have Nitrogen in my tires and notice no diff, but I got cool green valve stem covers

Old 11-20-2008, 10:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Riddler
costco in hawaii uses nitrogen in all the new tire sales. No charge.
I bought my winter tires at Costco Canada and was very impressed with the 2 different people working behind the desk. They both knew their stuff and would work with people to make sure that the customer had good information to make a tire decision. Also, when you ask how much you get 1 number which includes everything including taxes.

The best one I saw was an elderly gentleman who came in concerened that he had topped off his tire with plain air. The lady behind the desk patiently explained that it only made the 'air' inside dry and that he did the right thing to add air when his tire was low. If he wanted, they would purge that tire and refill it with nitrogen for him at no charge.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen Filled Tires?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands