New Owner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Owner Questions

Originally Posted by tbone526
Per the Illinois statute: '(c) No person shall drive a motor vehicle with any objects placed or suspended between the driver and the front windshield, rear window, side wings or side windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver which materially obstructs the driver's view.'

Since I'm 6'5" tall, that means my rear-view mirror is illegal! It hangs right in my line of sight (as do the mirrors on most vehicles). I've had to get in the habit of moving my head to look around it at intersections, otherwise someone coming up to a 4-way at the same speed as me can be hidden behind the mirror the entire time.
I couldn't find anything in the statute that said that you couldn't just remove the interior rearview mirror as long as you had a side mirror on each side of the vehicle.

(sections b and e of 625 ILCS 5/12-503 reference 625 ILCS 5/12-502)

(625 ILCS 5/12‑502) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑502) Sec. 12‑502. Mirrors.
Every motor vehicle, operated singly or when towing another vehicle, shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such motor vehicle.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't think you will find any jurisdiction with a requirement for an interior rear view mirror. Those mirrors are absolutely useless in any cube van, or truck (as in bigger than a pickup)

Old 09-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Enthusiast

I recently ordered a 2009 TCH. I got the UP package, do the camry's come with good tires in terms or Roll Resistance... or could I do better.

Also, when the EPA does its estimates do they have the ECO cool/heat mode on? Would it make a big difference if they didn't?

Old 09-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SustaindontMccain
I recently ordered a 2009 TCH. I got the UP package, do the camry's come with good tires in terms or Roll Resistance... or could I do better.

Also, when the EPA does its estimates do they have the ECO cool/heat mode on? Would it make a big difference if they didn't?
Camry seems to come with either the Bridgestone or Michelin tyres. When I got my 08, I drove 2 Camrys back-to-back, and noticed a distinctly 'grittier' feel with the Bridgestones. Others have reported a relatively short lifespan (30K miles, nearing wear bars), a stat borne out by the treadwear rating. Both are LRR tyres, and selected for that reason. Neither is the 'best of the best' in terms of traction, but they're not the worst, either. Rolling resistance specs and independent tests are hard to come by, but the Michelin and Bridgestone models on the TCH seem to be at the top of the few tests available. You can improve rolling resistance by increasing the inflation pressure a bit (I run 40/38, which is below sidewall max), an increase good for 2-4 MPG, more noticable at moderate speeds (< 60 MPH).

As to the EPA test procedure - go to Fueleconomy.gov, do a search for the test procedure.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtm
is a link to the 'summary', and you can link around to get the detail procedure. The 'graph' of the accelleration/stop/drive is at http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml