New Owner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Driving in stealth mode
Default Re: New Owner Questions

I was told that it was a very good price for good tint. My buddy had his Yukon done there and they did an excellent job. I'm not an expert on it though but there were no bubbles or defects with the job.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coolshock1
I was quoted $180 for my Camry from a reputable dealer. It was 35% rear windows 50% fronts.
Wow, that is a serious tint. Here in NY, I believe the law is no more than 30% tint on side windows. I will have to check.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Enthusiast

The percent that you see with tint is the percent of light transmission, so lower numbers means a darker tint. When someone says 50 front and 35 back this is fairly standard. I'm in texas and you can actually do 35 all around meaning that the state is not too strict about being able to clearly see the driver.

I purchased my vehicle at Red McCombs Toyota in San Antonio. I got 09 Camry Hybrid with leather, heated seats, nav, XM, spoiler, side molding, mats, mud guards, security system, Ipod connection, window etching, extra care protection (undercarriage and paint protection), and a 7yr/100,000 mile Toyota warranty for $200 over the car's MSRP (TTL included). I originally was set to get about $1700 off after negotiating and then received the Ipod, etching, and extra care protection for "free" as I did not ask for it despite the local port adding it in. Obviously I'm pretty happy with the deal that I received, especially as they charge a $3,000-5,000 premium in the Dallas area.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Tinting:
Illinois allows the top six inches of the windshield, nothing on the front sides, and any darkness (nonreflective) on the rear sides and rear window.

Excerpted from http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...olice/faq.html

What is the law in Illinois regarding tinted windows?

625 ILCS 5/12-503. Windshields must be unobstructed and equipped with wipers.
(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle with any sign, poster, window application, reflective material, nonreflective material or tinted film upon the front windshield, sidewings or side windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver. A nonreflective tinted film may be used along the uppermost portion of the windshield if such material does not extend more than 6 inches down from the top of the windshield. Nothing in this Section shall create a cause of action on behalf of a buyer against a dealer or manufacturer who sells a motor vehicle with a window which is in violation of this Section.

(b) Nothing contained in this Section shall prohibit the use of nonreflective, smoked or tinted glass, nonreflective film, perforated window screen or other decorative window application on windows to the rear of the driver's seat, except that any motor vehicle with a window to the rear of the driver's seat treated in this manner shall be equipped with a side mirror on each side of the motor vehicle which are in conformance with Section 12-502.

(more details and exceptions on the website, but these are the major points)

Old 09-11-2008, 05:46 AM
Enthusiast

Yeah, that's a darn good deal here in SA. I was looking to buy one right when they became a hot item and I couldn't find one in town in stock and no one would deal on them (esp since I had a truck to trade in).

Does your iPod interface allow you to browse by Artist/Album or do you have to setup playlists?

Did you get RedMac to throw in the Tinting and WashTub membership?

Old 09-11-2008, 05:58 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Originally Posted by john312
Tinting:
Illinois allows the top six inches of the windshield, nothing on the front sides, and any darkness (nonreflective) on the rear sides and rear window.

Excerpted from http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...olice/faq.html

What is the law in Illinois regarding tinted windows?

625 ILCS 5/12-503. Windshields must be unobstructed and equipped with wipers.
(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle with any sign, poster, window application, reflective material, nonreflective material or tinted film upon the front windshield, sidewings or side windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver. A nonreflective tinted film may be used along the uppermost portion of the windshield if such material does not extend more than 6 inches down from the top of the windshield. Nothing in this Section shall create a cause of action on behalf of a buyer against a dealer or manufacturer who sells a motor vehicle with a window which is in violation of this Section.

(b) Nothing contained in this Section shall prohibit the use of nonreflective, smoked or tinted glass, nonreflective film, perforated window screen or other decorative window application on windows to the rear of the driver's seat, except that any motor vehicle with a window to the rear of the driver's seat treated in this manner shall be equipped with a side mirror on each side of the motor vehicle which are in conformance with Section 12-502.

(more details and exceptions on the website, but these are the major points)
Yea I already new the law. I even commented to the tinter about fronts not being allowed and he said they do them anyway. I have seen people with mirrored tint all the way around. It all depends are where you live and how strict they want to be with it.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

OK I looked up the rules here in NY and it says that the windshield and door windows must allow at least 70% transmission. A car with two side mirrors can have any amount of tinting on the back window.

HOWEVER, I see dark-tinted windows all the time, so I wonder if the rules are enforced.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jg013c
I don't mean to thread jack, but what should it cost to get a decent window tinting on the TCH?

Also, I recall seeing many old cars back in the day that have had after-market tinting that developed what looks like air bubbles between the glass and the tinting film. Is this still a problem today with after market tinting?
Mine was about $225 or so. Solar Guard tint. 50%. I would say the $200 - 300 is about right for the average tint.

And yes, bubbles are the installer's fault. Same with dirt between the glass and film. Mine has a lifetime warranty. I do have a few dust particles but nothing major and I barely notice it.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

Per the Illinois statute: "(c) No person shall drive a motor vehicle with any objects placed or suspended between the driver and the front windshield, rear window, side wings or side windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver which materially obstructs the driver's view."

Since I'm 6'5" tall, that means my rear-view mirror is illegal! It hangs right in my line of sight (as do the mirrors on most vehicles). I've had to get in the habit of moving my head to look around it at intersections, otherwise someone coming up to a 4-way at the same speed as me can be hidden behind the mirror the entire time.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Enthusiast

I got Red McCombs to "throw in" the washtub membership without really asking hard (I think that it's pretty standard and does not hurt the profit that the salesman makes).

Quick Reply: New Owner Questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands