New kind of console rattle.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Enthusiast
Default New kind of console rattle.

I have read several threads on this and other forums. Nothing addresses my problem directly. I have a noise, rattle, sqeek whatever you want to call it coming from the right side of my center console. It's driving me crazy and only flaw in otherwise perfect 2010 TCH

The noise comes from the top console trim piece along the edge just outside the cup holder. Noise stops minute I put my finger on it but can't get it to go away - Help!

Here is what I need, a link to pics or instructions on how to remove that top trim piece that runs around the console between armrest and the front vertical part of dash. it looks like at a minimum I have to remove the shifter plate. I know how to do that. what I need is help removing the console top. thanks.

Last edited by splais; 05-21-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New kind of console rattle.

Why don't you just take your new vehicle to Toyota to have them fix it? It is, after all, under warranty.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Enthusiast

It's not New new and is out of warrenty, 40,000 miles.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

You do a lot of driving! I would take it to your local Toyota dealer anyway. While you will have to pay for a small amount of labor, if you break anything doing it yourself, it could cost more than what the cost for them to fix it would be. I would suggest you at least get them to read test it and get an estimate before you do anything.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:15 AM
Pragmatist

The Toyota repair manuals are online. You don't buy them. You subscribe to the web site. Short-term subscriptions are available. It costs $15 for two days. Last time I looked, you could download pdf files of sections of the shop manuals. I spent a Sunday afternoon downloading... should have spent the whole weekend. Here's the url: https://techinfo.toyota.com

Old 05-23-2011, 12:21 AM
Pragmatist

Without going to extremes, there is an exploded-view of the parts in that area on one of the parts sites.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

It looks like the main box (labeled "2" in the diagram) is a single unit. I wouldn't try to remove it. Jut take the top ("8") off, to access the space, and tighten some fasteners or add some foam shims.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:22 AM
Enthusiast

thanks, now I'm getting someplace. It is the front right of part #8 that has the noise. From the parts pic it looks like I can pull the cup holder out. that will let me get at the area that squeaks. I'll give it a try.

PS: Well it came apart very easily. I removed the shift cover plate and part #8 just poped right off. Now I got to find what was squeaking. Dealer probably would have charged me $200 for something that took all of two minuites. Pic always worth a thousand words - thanks.

Last edited by splais; 05-23-2011 at 07:32 AM.