? for Navigation Owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 03:39 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: ? for Navigation Owners

Originally Posted by Dang
Sooty....

Actually even having the major Canadian cities on the map is fairly new. The 2001 maps I have only had Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal. Calgary was added in 2003. It will probably be a while before smaller Canadian centres are added.

That said, I am happy to report that version 6 does indeed have Red Deer, including many POI's for gasoline alley.

Later!

Dan
Thanks for the info Dan.

Not sure that it is going to make me feel any better about my NAV and the impending update.

It sort of gives you an idea as to Denso's attitude towards maps for Canada. I hope it improves in the very near future.

Cheers
Steve

Old 01-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

meerkat...

Only way I've heard of to get those functions while driving is to build a hybrid DVD of the 5.1 executable with the 6.1 maps. So far I don't think anyone has found an override in 6.1

Sooty...

Actually there really only are a couple of map providers in North America, NavTeq and Tele Atlas being the big two. One thing I've learned is the supplier can actually buy different maps. Just depends how much they want to pay. For instance, if you got the Audi map disk, you got more coverage than the Mercedes map disk, even though the same company (Navteq in this case) supplied the disk. So, it might actually be Toyota you're disappointed in.

I know the Denso unit gets slammed, but so far I think the Camry's nav system is actually pretty good. I've had a whack of them in cars, and have about 20 different versions from Pocket PC, PC, standalone and connected to things like Kenwood/Pioneer, and the Denso one seems as good or better than those. The Denso is basically Tele Atlas (now anyway). I think Nav Teq has a bit better coverage, though the POI's seem better in Tele Atlas for Canada.

Later!

Dan

Old 01-11-2007, 04:09 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Sooty
New disc didn't arrive now to be phoned when it comes in.

If the replacement disc does happen to be an updated version of 5.1 with no change in the maps I'm going to be somewhat upset.

I drove up to Edmonton on the weekend and just south of Red Deer is a place called Gasoline Alley a series of restaurants and gas stations either side of the highway. This has been there for at least thirty years, well it's not on my 5.1 navigation DVD, when we pulled in for coffee according to the NAV we parked in a field. In addition I passed numerous interchanges that did not appear on the NAV screen either.

Absolutely pathetic.

Seriously considering asking for my money back.
If the updated DVD you are talking about is the free one referenced the the "Incorrect Location ..." TSB then there are NO changes to the map database. Only better at keeping the position indicator where its suppose to be. Also it remains a 5.1 DVD AND the (and this is significant) override capability is also removed.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Does anyone have a copy of 6.1 that i might borrow ?? I have copy of 5.1 that you can hold as collateral.. for medicinal purposes only.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
If the updated DVD you are talking about is the free one referenced the the "Incorrect Location ..." TSB then there are NO changes to the map database. Only better at keeping the position indicator where its suppose to be. Also it remains a 5.1 DVD AND the (and this is significant) override capability is also removed.
My expectation is, that there will be no change in the mapping and I am aware of the override issue.

The person I have been dealing with at the dealership is hoping that I will end up with Version 6.1. However I think, no I know he is going to be disappointed.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:38 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

If the replacement disc does happen to be an updated version of 5.1 with no change in the maps I'm going to be somewhat upset.
I just had the TSB fix for the Nav disc installed today. It remained at the 5.1 database. It did not have the 6.1 DB.

As far as override is concerned, I didn't use it anyway.

But the trick about hitting the "Display" button and then "upper left/lower left" corners a couple times still works to allow access to the diagnostic menus where you can look at GPS info and also see your GPS real speed instead of the speedometers 3 MPH off speed.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:54 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Paulgw — Way back in this thread you were engaged in negotiations with your dealer about returning your Canadian NAV unit since it didn't give the hybrid-specific data readouts like the factory-NAV-equipped vehicles in the U.S.A. do. Can you please fill us in on what's happened in the intervening months? Thanks.

Stan

Old 02-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
My expectation is, that there will be no change in the mapping and I am aware of the override issue.

The person I have been dealing with at the dealership is hoping that I will end up with Version 6.1. However I think, no I know he is going to be disappointed.
Well big surprise I finally got a call early last week that the new Nav disk had come in. So the car went in on Friday for the "update". Picked it up Friday afternoon all the settings back to defaults so I reset them to the way I had them before. Didn't bother looking to see which version I had as I was sure it was 5.1.1 or whatever.

Just went out for a short trip to the store and decided to see which version was in there so popped it out and low and behold it's version 06.1 to say I am surprised would be an understatement.

Cheers
Steve

Old 04-03-2007, 06:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
Paulgw — Way back in this thread you were engaged in negotiations with your dealer about returning your Canadian NAV unit since it didn't give the hybrid-specific data readouts like the factory-NAV-equipped vehicles in the U.S.A. do. Can you please fill us in on what's happened in the intervening months? Thanks.
Originally Posted by SPL

Stan

SUCCESS!

It took a while, but after numerous conversations with Toyota Canada and a letter to the President, they agreed to have the dealer remove my navigation system. I now have the original radio reinstalled and recently received a cheque for the full cost of the unit.

I really take my hat off to Toyota for coming through in the end, as for quite awhile I really felt like a voice in the wilderness when it came to my complaints regarding the navigation system accuracy and also the Canadian version's missing hybrid trip information screens.

I am now shopping for a portable navigation unit, and think I have narrowed the search down to a Garmin unit, probably one of the Nuvi 600 series, any comments or suggestions would be welcome!

Old 04-03-2007, 12:43 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Paulgw — I'm glad to hear that you were finally successful in getting your money back and your old radio non-NAV reinstalled. I'm sorry, though, that you were never able to get a properly-functioning NAV radio with hybrid-specific display capability installed. Do you have any understanding as to why Toyota Canada are not furnishing these in NAV-equipped Canadian TCHs, and especially why they cannot be retrofitted? Frustrating!

By the way, are you sure that the refund money you received actually came from Toyota Canada and not from your dealer? In this connection you might like to have a look at the "story" I related in my Post #36 in the thread "Cruise Control - Complaints Filed." That refund came out of the dealer's own pocket, I believe.

I'm using an Alpine "Blackbird" portable GPS unit on my car's dash. It's quite nicely made, and functions quite well, modulo some software glitches. Since the firmware is upgradable via a PC download, I think that they'll probably get many of the remaining glitches out eventually.

Stan

Quick Reply: ? for Navigation Owners

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands